Sign in to follow this  

VOD 3.0 For FS2002 Use ?

I created a large number of macros for an airport for FS2000. I used VOD 3.0 to create the macros ( mostly buildings and taxiway signage ). Is it still acceptable to use those VOD macros in FS2002 scenery or would it be better to redesign them using GMAX ? Unless the framerate is exceptionally better using GMAX, I would prefer to not have to redesign all of the macros again.

Guest GerrishGray

Hi SteveYour macros designed with VOD should work OK in FS2002. Some of the commands included in the SCASM code are now obsolete but I believe that FS2002 simply ignores them. If you have any trouble getting any of them to work, send me a copy and I will tell you how to put them right.They will NOT work with FS2004, but you don't have to convert them with gMax yet. Hang on a bit and you may find that conversion is easier than you expect ...Note that VOD itself is now obsolete anyway. If you want to design any new macros I suggest that you get Nova, which is the modern version of VOD, and which we can expect to be updated in due course for FS2004 compatibility.CheersGerrish

Thanks for your feedback and offer to assist. Would you know if NOVA can convert my existing VOD 3.0 macros into NOVA macros ? Would you anticipate that even if I go with NOVA that eventually I need to learn GMAX anyway ? Any advantages with using GMAX over NOVA ? From what I see on NOVA's website, NOVA appears user friendly and very similar to VOD 3.0 in terms of ease of use, the way structures are created, etc. That is appealing so long as it will be updated for FS2004 ( any beyond !?! )Steve

Guest GerrishGray

Hi SteveNova is very similar to VOD and you will find the user-interface almost identical. The author, Rafael Sanchez, is already working on an update - see topic #995 on this forum. I have no doubt that it is the right way to go for you. I'm not sure whether Nova can actually open a *.VOD file direct, but even if it can't you will find that it is virtually an exact one-to-one process to recreate the same stuff in Nova - you could run VOD & Nova side-by-side, open the old model in VOD, and copy everything into a new Nova model, step-by-step, almost exactly! Can I suggest that you e-mail Rafael direct through the Nova web site (or even via his profile here on the AVSIM forums) to make contact and ask for clarification on any questions that you have.As regards gMax, no, nobody HAS to move to gMax - there will soon be lots of alternative tools available that will produce code in the new format, and probably simpler too. gMax is very good for designing highly complex models, but once the new tools, such Rafael's new version of Nova, are available, I think that there will be better choices for scenery designers who want something simpler.RegardsGerrish

Hi Gerry,He he..well...I have nothing else to add to this, your anwser could be also signed as mine too.....:-lolTo be clear, there is not VOD to Nova conversion utility, but it will be a conversion for Nova to the future new program. I wish to make a first public release of this new program as a beta soon, with some new features. Although the conversion from Nova to the new utility will not be possible 1 to 1, most important tools will be converted to the new format.Thanks,Rafael>Nova is very similar to VOD and you will find the >user-interface almost identical. The author, Rafael >Sanchez, is already working on an update - see topic #995 on >this forum. I have no doubt that it is the right way to go >for you. I'm not sure whether Nova can actually open a >*.VOD file direct, but even if it can't you will find that >it is virtually an exact one-to-one process to recreate the >same stuff in Nova - you could run VOD & Nova side-by-side, >open the old model in VOD, and copy everything into a new >Nova model, step-by-step, almost exactly! Can I suggest >that you e-mail Rafael direct through the Nova web site (or >even via his profile here on the AVSIM forums) to make >contact and ask for clarification on any questions that you >have. >>As regards gMax, no, nobody HAS to move to gMax - there will >soon be lots of alternative tools available that will >produce code in the new format, and probably simpler too. >gMax is very good for designing highly complex models, but >once the new tools, such Rafael's new version of Nova, are >available, I think that there will be better choices for >scenery designers who want something simpler. >>Regards >Gerrish