Sign in to follow this  
Guest christian

Blowing snow effect

Guest moomox

Thanks for looking... I'm wondering if anyone has looking into creating/modifying an effect to create blowing snow across runways? I figure it wouldn't be too difficult, but where does one start? Is there a way to modify/add the smoke effect in a scenery file, that will only active in the winter with winds... say above 10KTS? And is there a way to cause it to hug the ground?Also anyone created new runway textures for the winter that have various surfaces. ie ice/snow/slush? Is there any way to increase takeoff/landing distance due to runway conditions? AKA the JBI(James Brake Index) or CRFI (Canadian Runway Friction Index)Just currious,MOOMOX

Guest christian

Just doing the effect would be easy. Read the Effects SDK and play with the fx files. However, you'd have to do some BGLC / SCASM programming to link it to winter only and I don't think you can really link it to wind direction and strength, but I may be wrong there.Neat idea though...Cheers, Christian

Guest odog

Yeah...great idea,Im no fxpert, but I know for certain theres a parameter that tells the fx how to react to wind. Maybe it could be year round if it could change from white to brown in the summer, and look like dust?.?this param tell how much effect wind and gravity have<>great idea tho, i hope you run with it.odog

Guest odog

here's what happens when you take the stock FX_SMOKE_W and go down to where it says DRAG and put 50,50 for the values. this shows how severe wind effects the smoke...I know you wanted it to do alot more, but maybe this will get you started.odog

Guest christian

Well, that happens when you read posts too fast:You can also set a minimum windspeed with BGLC/SCASM, Arno could help you, as he knows these things well.There is a snow runway in the default set of runways, no need to make your own texture...Cheers, Christian