Sign in to follow this  

AFD Files / Navaids (EURNWNDB.BGL )

Hi All I am just about to release my first Freeware Scenery and included in my files are, EURNWNDB.BGL, EURNWVOR.BGL and F5406331.bgl.I understand that redistribution of these files may involve in Microsoft copyright infridgement.I believe that Afd files are responsible for navaid data displayed on the map in FS2002 and Airport Facility Information.In any case, I needed to modify the Navaid info in the above files.Can anybody verify this situation or cast some light on it.Any help appreciated.Regards Dave

Guest christian

Hi Dave,I would call this a very grey area. Technically, the default files are copyrighted by M$. But: the data in those files clearly is not, several organisations really have the copyright, the civil autorities supplying that sort of data and all organiastion this data was passed through. Since this sort of data is mostly freely available, you're probably ok.Just ask yourself, could you have produced the file completely on your own, without using M$ data, but just modifying M$ data saved you a lot of hassle? If the answer is yes, then most likely M$ wouldn't care and even if they would you'd be fine, because the data in your file really is freely available anyway.Before you upload your file, contact the people at avsim here and describe the situation. They will tell you if they will host it.Cheers, Christian

Guest bones

There is another aspect of modifying default files that you may care to think about. I install your files along with the modified FS defaults. A few days later I install another scenery that does the same thing.If authors start modifying default files then it going to get out of hand because the users will only end up with the most recent one they have installed. All the mods in the earlier copies will be lost.I don't think it is a good idea.

Hi GuysI have emailed avsim for their opinion, as yet no response, need to give them more time I think.I take the point about modifying default files and wouldn't do this unless I was able to backup the original files in the instal process, which could prove tricky. I can see though that this approach could just get messy.This only leaves me with the problem of how to overcome this situation. As I am aware, the Navaids are in the wrong location and modifying these files is the only way to remedy this. Indeed, the airfield is as well, which has been deleted from the F5406331.bgl.Will an exclude bgl remove these items, which I could include with my scenery files?Thanks for your input and supportRegardsDave

Hi allI have now managed to modify the above files, by excluding the data that I don't wish to use and including this in my scenery files, using the GenExcl() command.This seems a far better way of doing things and gives me more control.Thanks againKind RegardsDave