Sign in to follow this  

Runway directional sign locations..

Hello,I have been doing some work placing taxiway signs around an airport. Most of them are fairly straightforward - Red with white numbers for the runway starts and crossovers, black with yellow for the taxiways and yellow with black for the directional signs. These I don't have any problem with.However, according to the FAA documents, directional signs can also point to runways. My question is, where is an appropriate place to put these signs? I am not a real pilot so I don't have any knowledge of real world airport sign locations. There is an FAA document "150/5340-18C Standards for Airport Sign Systems", however of all the FAA documents on the web - this seems to be the one without a pdf file so I can't see what it contains.At a standard intersection (say taxiway A meets E), you will have the following sign [A][<-E->]. (where A is black with yellow text, the rest is yellow with black text).Now if I want to also indicate the direction of a runway, say runway 30-12, should the sign become [<-30][A][<-E->|12->] ? Is this getting too big? and what about the other runways at the airport? travel to them may also go via this taxiway. I don't want a sign overload - but i would like to avoid getting lost whilst taxiing!I would like like some practical advice (or rules of thumb etc) where to put these directional signs. My thoughts are that they would be useful when a pilot needs to turn onto a taxiway but is unsure in which direction. In the example above, when the pilot is asked to taxi to runway 12 via taxiways A E and so on, when they get to the intersection, unless the pilot has a map of the airport they cannot tell which way to turn...any thoughts or information would be appreciated.cheers,James.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi James if I remember right most signs that include directions for a runway would just give the runway designator as 12-30 or 30-12depending on which direction(or side) of the runway you are on.Something like D(arrow to the right and then say 12-30 right arrow. Hope this helps you. Dan

Thankyou for your advice -however the question I'm asking is where to place the runway directional signs. Not the red runway holding signs, but the yellow ones with the optional dot in the middle.Theoretically I could place them at every taxiway intersection - however that would clutter things up a lot. So far I'm just using common sense to decide where I put these signs but I was hoping a real pilot could help me out and tell me how/if/when these signs are used in real airports.thanksJames.