Sign in to follow this  

PC keeps rebooting every few minutes!

HiI know that there are a lot of clever guys/gals around here so I am asking for help! :-zhelp My system:Athlon T-Bird 800mhzM/B Epox EP-8KTA512 (PC133) RamGeforce 2 32MbWIN98SEA few days ago the computer refused to start at all. I took it to a technician and he said that the CPU is fried. He replaced it with anAthlon 1Gb CPU. Now the computer keeps rebooting every 5 to 15 minutes. It does not matter what I am doing on the computer it just keeps rebooting without me touching anything.Has anyone experiaced this before? Can anyone provide some help/suggestions? :-zhelp I appreciate it!Take careMike

Guest PaulL01

>Hi >I know that there are a lot of clever guys/gals around here >so I am asking for help! :-zhelp >My system: >Athlon T-Bird 800mhz >M/B Epox EP-8KTA >512 (PC133) Ram >Geforce 2 32Mb >WIN98SE >>A few days ago the computer refused to start at all. I took >it to a technician and he said that the CPU is fried. He >replaced it with an >Athlon 1Gb CPU. Now the computer keeps rebooting every 5 to >15 minutes. It does not matter what I am doing on the >computer it just keeps rebooting without me touching >anything. >Has anyone experiaced this before? Can anyone provide some >help/suggestions? :-zhelp >I appreciate it! >Take care >Mike Sounds more like a faulty power supply or just plain "dirty" power coming from your Utility Company as "spiking" can do this. But at the rate you seem to describe the dirty power is less probable. Also you might give attention to your heat sink and fans working OK, Did you use any thermal grease or Pad between the CPU and HS? Also having the latest 4in1 drivers for your MB can help in this regard, just check your Epoxe's web site for your board and down load the latest drivers they have listed.Paul

Guest captbulldog

Sounds like hardware problem. I'm going to take a wild guess at the power supply. Either the plug from the outlet to the PS is lose or a lose power wiring inside. The power disruption could be very quick but enough to shut down and turn on the computer quickly, perceiving as a restart.Does this problem exist in safe mode? Find out, the answer to this question is help a lot.Preston

Thanks Paul and PrestonIt looks like the problem is solved. I reinstalled Windows and it appears to be fine. IF it does that again I will take your advice and look at the power supply.Thanks againMike

Guest captbulldog

Yea, that's what I wanted to ask. If the problem exists in the safe mode then it is the hardware, if not then it's in Windows itself (how typical :-roll)Preston

Yep! It's fine now. It has not rebooted for over 1 hour. It's funny how windows seems to need a new installation every once in a while! Maybe it's all the installing/deleting/changing/tweaking etc... Anyway, I'm glad it works.Take careMike

Guest Philip Olson

Hey Mike, I keep meaning to ask you a question on the other forum but since I have you here all ask it now. Where do you live in Canada? I travel up that way fairly often so I was just curious. Maybe sometime when I am up that way we could get together and I could take you up, I am still working on my flight lessons but I am sure that I will be done before my next trip up that way. You can email me or just reply here. Good luck on keeping your system running, I hate Windows!Philip