Sign in to follow this  

Scenery Textures

Hi Evereone and a HAPPY NEW YEAR! I'd like to know if there is any way that I could make close-to-real scenery textures without the need of taking pictures with a digital camera??? How should I proceed? And is there any tutorial available that explains the process of drawing those textures??Thank You and Regards,Jean.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

One alternative would be to use images from the internet...not sure of the legality issues, but I'm pretty sure no one would care. Regardless of the source, if you use photographic images for textures, I'd use a distort function in a graphics program to undo perspective, it'll give you best results. Also, try to always reduce the image when changing perspective, that way you won't ask the graphics program to try to resample while also doing the transform.finally, keep the image as big as possible, while still being able to fit into a 256x256 file.When done take ur 256x256 file and convert it to dxt1 opaque, dxt1 with alpha, or dxt3 with alpha, depending on if you wish to have transparency or reflectivity in the texture.Bob B

" finally, keep the image as big as possible, while still being able to fit into a 256x256 file."And ..... how do you do that Bob...?a 256x256x 16 mil color..... is still a 256x256 image.Joe

Joe, what I meant was that I work with the portion of the image in the original scale...if that's say....400x600 or whatever. Lets say I've tugged at it, distorted it...and finally I'm happy. Lets say that the image at that point is 340x400. Now I'd resample the image down to force the 400 to 256. so I'll take the image and resample it by the fraction 256/400. Perhaps all I'm saying is transform/distort first, size the image second.B