Sign in to follow this  

Novice Q: Is this the right way to modify an existing

Hi everyone. I'm pretty new to scenery design for FS2K2, and I'm trying to add a runway and move some taxiways around an existing default FS2K2 airport. From experimentation and a few other posts I've made on this forum, I understand the general approach (not actually modifying default scenery, etc.) and how to put a background image in Airport to use as a reference for additions. I was successfully able to add a runway and get it to show up in FS, and now I want to be able to add and move some taxiways. I know a little bit about "exclude" areas, and somehow using them to remove default taxiways from the scenery.Since I need to both remove some taxiways as well as add some, this is the approach I think I need to taxi:1. Create exclude areas that cover the taxiways that need to be deleted.2. Cover those exclude areas up with some sort of seasonal ground texture.3. Add new taxiways using the background screenshot as a reference.This is only my guess at the 'right' and easiest way of doing what I want to do, so I'm hoping that someone here could either confirm or correct my methodolgy before I dive head-first into this project. The complication I see is that as far as I can tell, the exclude areas in Airport must be rectangular, which is kind of a pain for any angled taxiways. Am I wrong about this? I don't really want to exclude the whole airport and rebuild the whole thing again when all I need to do is change a few taxiways.Can anyone give me any hints/pointers in this area? Do I have the right idea, or am I going about this incorrectly?Thanks!

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi,Forget about step 2. If I've understood you right, that should not be needed, as excluding the default taxiways will only exclude them, the ground underneath will not be removed. Btw, excludes do not have to cover the whole of the polygon, it should be enough to just have a smaller exclude covering the ref.point of the polygon. This is not important if you do not worry about having large excludes excluding autogen./Sebastian

How do I find where the reference point of a default taxiway is, then? If I just have an exclude to cover that a taxiway reference point, then would that make the entire taxiway disappear? (i.e. so if I only wanted to eliminate half of a taxiway, I couldn't just exclude the reference point?)Thanks for your help!