Sign in to follow this  

FS2002 coastline and landclass design

I am new to FS2002 (very new)scenery design. I have read and read and read and downloaded software till it is coming out of my ears in hopes that I could muddle my way through with the help files and tutorials. Even with this arsenal of information and software, I am still at a loss as to how I should begin this project that I have in mind (which, by the way, is to reproduce the coastal areas of my old hometown airport - CYQI Yarmouth Nova Scotia).Maybe I have too much info, not the right kind of info or maybe I am just plain stupid.I guess what I need is to be in contact with someone who has done this kind of a project in the past and give me a "push" in the right direction.my goal:cover up the default area for a 20km areacreate new coastal and landclass to replace the default.thanks in advance to anyone who replies :-eek

Guest Shane Strong CYHZ

good luck with it i live in bridgewater would love to see new land class for all of nova scotiashane

You will need a couple of programs, dig into the tutorials and helpfiles of those programs and then just do lots of work with it. I have done this in my EFHN scenery so I know it works (look for it at http://fisd.fsnordic.net/ if you want to see what the end result looks like - take a tour around the default EFHN, then install my scenery and compare).Very briefly. The basic tools you need are the following:- Landclass Assistant to make the landclass changes (be sure to save the resulting landclass bgl in a scenery directory with no corresponding texture directory!)- CellGrid to get to know how your area is split up into LOD areas- TDFcalc to assist you in knowing your position - LWMdraw to make the LWM and VTP polys needed to change the coastline- DefArea to get rid of the default shorelines (be sure to name the resulting files alphabetically before all your other scenery files!)All the programs above can be found on AVSIM or in links in this discussion forum.Additionally:- A good image editor (eg. Paintshop Pro or Photoshop)- Top-down screenshots covering your area (including the cellgrid lines)- A suitable map of your areaFirst, you will need use the image editor to combine the screenshots (on a semi-transparent layer) with the resized/repositioned map, then split it up into LOD13-sqares and save each square separately. This part is the tedious one...Then, in LWMdraw use the pics you produced and make the LWM polys and VTP coastlines for your area (it's all very well explained in the tutorial...).Read the manuals and tutorials thoroughly - the answers to most questions can be found in them so it pays :-)BamceEFHN