Sign in to follow this  
Guest MikeEppright

Reflective texture problem

Guest MikeEppright

Having viewed several tutorials dealing with creating reflective textures, I am still having problems. I am using PSP7.0 to create basic textures and DXT3 to combine basic and alpha to create extended textures. I do my design in FSDS2.11 then creating an API macro and using Airport to place objects in FS2K2. I understand that textures need to be 256 colors and 256x256 or up to 1024x1024. I also understand that FSDS needs the basic "unaplpha'd" BMP.What am I missing? I am either seeing an object in FS that views the alpha side of the texture or if not the alpha image then the basic texture having been labled in FSDS as a reflective texture is transparent. Help!

If you have an nvidia geforce card, it may not be displaying the textures properly (I had the same problem for several weeks). The file "gf4mxdsp.zip" has a fix for this problem.Phil

Guest luissa

Hi Mike,FSDS2.11 generates BGL files of objects with reflective textures. You can use the BGL option to test, in the sim, if your texture was well prepared. The problem is that FSDS2.11 does not generate APIs ou SCAs when your object has textures declared as reflective ®. I think that the reason is that these reflective textures were meant for aircraft not for scenery. But they work in scenery. This is a point that could be taken care of in a future update of FSDS.A solution would be to disassemble the BGL to get the source for the API. Unfortunately BGLAnalyze has a bug in disassembling the SCASM command TextureList().The only way I could get a SCASM source (or an API) with reflective textures was to fool FSDS2. After testing everything and being happy with the result of my object with reflective textures, I deactivated the reflectivity. Then generated the API. Then opened it with a text editor, inserted a texture line and changed the "type" of the textures in TextureList(). It is not very difficult. Refer to SCASM docs (and the SDK). Note that you have to change the type of bitmaps from 6 to 1 and that the changes are confined to the TextureList() command. Here an example where I added a 5th line to get a reflective texture.Kind Regards, Luis TextureList( 0 1 FF 255 255 255 0 20 psanto.bmp ; texture 0 256 FF 255 255 255 0 20 psanto_LM.bmp 1 FF 255 255 255 0 20 termps1.bmp ; texture 1 256 FF 255 255 255 0 20 termps1_LM.bmp 512 FF 255 255 255 0 20 termps1.bmp )

Guest MikeEppright

Thanks, I do have a nvidia card and will get the file you suggested.

Guest MikeEppright

Thanks, hopefully this will get me going.