Sign in to follow this  
Shaka

Recommended Poly Budget for Scenery?

Hello all,I did a quick search for this but nothing came up.Just staring out in GMAX (and loving it) and I'm modelling my home and surrounding area to go into Flight Simulator. Do you guys have any recommended numbers for poly counts for this sort of thing? Or distance to become visible? I don't want to put all this work into it only to bog down framerates.Thanks!Kenneth

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I was recently thinking about this myself, and this is what I came up with:With scenery, there are probably more issues to deal with than strictly the number of polygons - the number, size, and format of textures for example. Also, you can make objects only visible within a certain range of your aircraft, so they don't get drawn when you are too far away to notice them, although, the object probably gets loaded into memory still... not sure about this. Still, you save a few framerates doing this.Using libraries improves framerates, as Gerrish Gray (Grey? sorry...) has pointed out many times.I recently did a poly count of the scenery I am currently working on, and the number was far less than the number of polys in some aircraft that I designed recently. A poly count of 10k is not unusual for aircraft nowadays, and you might not use that many in your entire scenery.This is not to say that we should waste polygons when we can simulate shadows and stuff using textures. I'm only saying that you might be better able to optimize performance by looking at other factors first. Search the forum for info on libraries and textures and you will find some interesting reading.- Martin