Sign in to follow this  

Textures/ FSDS/Sizes (See Pic)

Hi AllI have recently acquired excellent photos for my project and have had some difficulty understanding image sizingI understand the ratio 256*256 512*512 and even newer changes 64,128,256,512*32,64. I am using FSDS 1.6b, although I have learn't to used Scasm more and more.... I have been using Martin Wrights excellent DXTBmp program, can it handle 256*64 size textures?My confusion centres around how much the image needs to be reduced to fit the different Pixel sizes and in the image below, 512*512, the two end elevations are of good size, but the Front Elevation is, I feel squashed, relative to its proportionate size.Arno had previously mentioned, drawing in FSDS to the building size in the Textures, in other word's fit the polygon to the texture, but I guess I am confused by this because the image of the building will be so much larger than the 256/512 image size that it will have to fit.I hope someone can talk me though a procedure or just explain what they do!!!!!RegardsDave

Guest gorchi

Hi Dave!You can use square images in API's; it doesn't matter, if OYu have 256x256 or 512x512 or evene 1024x1024. FS will use it automatically. So if You have designed Your object using 256x256 picture and then in FS You use bitmap with size 1024x1024 pix, You'll see only that picture is sharper and have more details.But looking at Your picture, If I understand correctly You want to glue a side texture to side polygon in FSDS. First of all, You must add Your bitmap to texture list then in Part mode press F4 and select bitmap and then areas on it. In preview You will allready see how shall object look in FS.Sometimes You will need to make some fine adjustments of the bitmap on polygon. Then enter polygon mode of the object, with arrow buttons select Your poly and go to menu Polygon-Texture. Choose either button "Part texture" either "Custom texture" and then correct pints on the bitmap.Be warned, that if You select Part texture and sometime after adjusting picture this way You will loose Your adjustments if YOu are in Part-Textures and press OK!If the texture You use appears too large on Your screen (especially if Your screen size is 1024x768 and You use texture with 1024x1024pix!), go to "File" menu then "Preferences" and uncheck checkbox Show hi-res pictures fullsize (I think so).Hope I have helped You! Best regards,Goran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

Hi GorenThanks for your reply, I have been thinking about what you have said!I think my problem is with proportioanality with side elev/end elevation. If a building isn't sq, then one elevation is going to be longer than the other. If I make the width of the building 512 pixels, then the longer elevation needs to be longer than 512 pixel to avoid degrading/loss of quality. If I go to 1024 pixels for better image quality, to incorprate the longer elevation, this leaves FS2002 having to handle really large file sizes, which has to degrade performance(Frame Rates). If the width is reduced to 256 pixels, this can only result in further loss in quality of image due to reducing the image from 1600*1200 pixels to such a small size.I appreciate your contribution, and think I could use Scasm to handle the Scenery Design, it's preparation of textures for use in that design, and confusion between scale size of the building and size of image in relation to the representation of the building, that causes the problem.An example may be, that in FSDS, the template it creates, which I have used, is aspect related, but only to 256/512 sq, with out giving any indication of size (elevation proportioned to End elevation) in other words, width=Length layed out in a bitmap of a certain size, which is Sq, that is not 256*256 or 512*512.Thanks for your help, I'm sure this becomes a problem for many people, or at least, I hope so!!!!Many RegardsDave

Guest sapper42

Hi DaveI had the same problem with textures full stop in FSDS and found the texture template to be of no use, never could fathom it.what i do is take a screen shot of an elevation of the plane/polygon that i want to texture. Then, in a program ie: like Paintshop Pro i copy and past the selected image onto the screenshot as a layer. i then adjust the image using freefrom in the tools and fit it to the line drawing of the side of the building im working on. Once im happy i merge the layers and convert to 256 colour, then, i resize to 512*512 or 512*256 or what ever you prefer and save as a BMP file.then, when i go back into FSDS and apply the texture to the model on Polygon Mode, i move the corresponding dots/handles to the applicable corners and it fits perfect.Just to note, when you save to 512*512 or 512*256 whatever, the image distorts but dont worry about it as it will show correctly in the FSDS preview and FS2K2.regarding the building size, just build it to real life measurements in FSDS as your texture you make will fit.if you need any more help, email me and ill try to make it clearer.rgds Jeff

Hi JeffThanks for your reply, its good to know others do have the same or similar problemsI think you clarified, that with 512*256 textures, they have to be 8bit textures, up to now, I have been blinkered in using 24/32bit res, via DXTBmp program to save on frame ratesI guess this would be a way of resolving my problem in my sample image, where the two end images are 512 pixels wide and the longer elevation is squashed in to 512 pixels End elevation's would be better at 256 pixels wide and Front elevation at 512 pixels Its that proportion between the two elevation that concerns meMany Thanks Dave