Sign in to follow this  
Shaka

AFCAD or my maps?

I've been playing around with AFCAD trying to add some extra gates at EGNM and I've noticed that when compared to the offical data the airport is in the wrong place. I've placed the ref point as described in the CAA ref doc as being in the middle of r/w 14/32 but when I add the runway its no where near the this point. Is everything like this? I've compared a couple of other airports with CAA info and they don't show in the right place either!What am I doing wrong?

Well, it depends on how accurate MS decided to place the airport, and how accurate your data is. When designers like myself enhance an existing airport in FS2002, we often include a custom AFCAD file specifically because of this. When we build the airport from the "official data" like you mentioned, it sometimes turns out that the airport is slightly displaced from where it sould be. The same goes for rivers, roads, coastlines, etc.So, since you are adding gates in AFCAD to an existing airport, you should bend yourself to FS2002. As long as the gates are in their relative position to the runway and each other, then this slight ofset in FS2002 won't be a bother.I noticed this when I first got FS2002, and I tried to load my FS2000 scenery for Sukhothai into it. Well, I noticed that the location of the default airport was moved about 200 ft west, and that made me realize that everything was not as exact as I had assumed.One other thing about your data - sometimes the lat/long of gates isn't precise enough. They can be rounded off, sometimes to 2 decimal places, which can throw your position off by 50 feet or so. Not much, but enough to place you on top of a baggage cart, or whatever.- Martin