Sign in to follow this  

Runway Lighting.... for own Runway Textures...

Hi Guys, I'm back againI am trying to use the Runwaydata() command with the runway that I have created using the Points() Loadbitmap() and Texpoly() Commands, in order to provide runway lighting1) I have achieved this reasonably well, although I had to use the 'abs' Refpoint() type to keep the elevations the same.2) I have also acquired a 'bumpy surface' problem on the runway but nowhere else. I have tried to resolve this problem with the SurfaceType() command and this fails!! If I rem the runwayData() command for the lighting, the 'Bumpy' problem disappears!!! SurfaceType( 0 10000 10000 0 ); large area Co-ordinates maybe, I know(Rest of code is the same as 'Arno's' excellent tutorial on his Web Site)I think there is a Scasm command for lighting 'only', but had bugscan anybody advise on this, either 'Bumpy' or runway lighting commandAppreciate any thoughts on either aspectRegardsDave

I've done this with one airport I designed. It was pretty basic, so it didn't have a lot of lighting anyway, but this technique worked. I was using FSArchitect to place the ground texture and runway, but I didn't like the way the runway looked, so I set the surface to "custom" and didn't choose a texture. This let the runway I had made in my ground polys show up, but I could still add PAPI lights, etc. I went back and reviewed the SCASM code, and the onyl thing that changed was "surface 2" became "surface -1", so if you are editing it by hand, you can try changing this part, but leaving all the other elements of the runway that you desire.I got some good feedback about making the runway this way. The way you can really make the runway blend in with your scenery nicely. The only problem I had was that runway lines and numbers that I had drawn on looked pretty terrible due to mip-mapping. They were unreaedable until you were very close. I got around this by creating a second ground poly that would be used only for numbers and lines, and I made sure that this texture did not have mip-mapping. I am now working on a larger runway, that has more complex lighting. Again, I will try using the same method. If I find that I am limited by the lighting then I will just put it in manually using macros.Here's a couple of pictures, to show you what I mean.- Martin

Hi MartinThanks for your reply and suggestions, I tried changing the 'Surface Type' to 1 and this didn't resolve the bumpy Runway, but I did discover through changing this that I had 'Rem'ed that line out in the RunwayData() command and this was what was causing the 'bumpy Runway'I then adjusted the Layers in my ground poly's to ensure that the default Runway was not visable.This Airfield has very simply single runway and lighting, so it does seem to workThanks for your help, Martin, you did get me there in the endRegrdsDave