Sign in to follow this  
Shaka

Building Crashes

I have recently started experiencing FS2002 building crashes when my spot plane view position intersects a building. The airplane itself is located in a startup position and hasn't moved - usually one of the small GA Ramp positions. As long as my viewpoint stays away from a building, I am golden but otherwise - crash! For whatever it is worth, I just recently converted to Windows XP and coincidently, have added a couple of files from one particular author - no name mentioned because it may not be uniquely his problem. My encounters with this problem have all occurred with this one author but I am not certain he has done anything amiss. More research is needed. Has anybody else experienced this problem with scenery and related AFCAD files and does anyone know what to do about it?Stan V.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Stan!Yes I know the problem and is not AFCAD related. Sceenry designer puts crash into object in good will that if a plane would fly through the object, it will crash But unfortunatelly this has also an effect on spot plane view so when You , Your viewpoint moves into the crash box, the crash occurs. This crash type is made using IfPlaneInBox command or something similar, then if this condition is true, using the SetVar( 284 20 ) instruction (I think this is the one), triggers crash.But on the other hand, if you make spot view through autogen trees and buildings, there will be no crash which makes me to believe, that there must be some other instructions that trigger crash properly (maybe CrashOctree ?)So to resume everything above, unfortunatelly there is nothing You can do, just take care when in spot view! The only one who can do anything is Your's scenery scenery designer.Best regardsGoran BrumenFS Slovenija 2002 teamhttp://slovenia.avsim.net

I read somewhere that this problem was restricted to SCASM-compiled scenery and did not effect makemdl.exe-compiled scenery and was a result of how SCASM checked for collisions. Specifically, that it checked using the viewpoint rather than the center point of the aircraft. So, scenery designed using GMAX might not have this problem (I don't use GMAX).This would explain why you don't have this problem with the autogen objects, and (correct me if I'm wrong) you don't have this problem at default airports. I had this problem at some airports that I designed, but it wasn't a huge problem (I thought), until I started getting loads of email telling me about the "bug" with my scenery. Obviously, it is frustrating to finish a flight and pull up to the gate, only to "crash".For scenery designers, the only real fix is to turn off the collisions in your macros. This may not be ideal, but I think it is only a small compromise since most people wouldn't go plowing into buildings anyway. - Martin