Sign in to follow this  
Guest GerrishGray

Reno Scenery

Went for a flight in FS2004 yesterday and noticed that there are racing pylons in the standard scenery for Reno - Stead (4SD). Was quite surprised, as the Reno Air Racing Association was always actively discouraging people from making scenery for FS and publishing it, they said they had the exclusive rights and making scenery of the racecourse without their consent was "illegal". So did MS get the rights or did they just say "no one will dare sue MS" ?I found out about this problem when I made a scenery myself after wondering why there is no 4SD-scenery available online. Turned out, some people actually had made scenery but can't bring it online (not even as freeware!) 'cause of exclusive rights. Was really p**** off, of course.Any comments?

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I myself just finished doing some flying at Stead in FS9. Installed the FS2K2 Reno Air Racers package, tweaked it a bit, and it works fine. Did my best Bob Hoover impression of flying down 08 at 375 kts and 100'AGL... then dropped off the end!! The first time I saw Hoover do this (I was a kid, and that was a long time ago) my heart stopped!! Cool show stopper.I believe RARA has little or no say about what scenery can be placed in this or any other sim. Stead is owned by the county, therefore it is public domain. While RARA may ask for certain things (and more often than not get them) they can't dictate whether a scenery package is included in a flight sim (though that doesn't mean they wouldn't try to intimidate someone from trying. One can only wonder if they would try such tactics with MS).Regards,

I think their argument was that the racecourse was theirs somehow (?). I remember that last year or the year before, they had sold the exclusive rights to a big company that published an air racing game, and no one else was able to make a scenery. I remember a discussion on pylon1.com (It's been removed by now, was too old). Some guy started on a scenery and then they emailed him saying, he can't publish the scenery.But maybe things have changed. Anyway, I'm happy that finally, there are pylons to race around.

Well now, there's a thing. Did you know that the coastlines of England belong to Her Majesty The Queen. I suppose that anyone who publishes any scenery of England that depicts any coastal feature runs the risk of receiving a royal e-mail threatening to send the offender to the Tower and have their head removed by a Beefeater.I don't normally publish actual scenery myself, only stuff for helping enhance or build it, but I feel sorely tempted to do a scenery of the Reno raceway just so that I can have the pleasure of replying to the inevitable e-mail from the company concerned with some appropriate Saxon 4-letter words ... I think I might depict one of the pylons as an erect middle finger while I'm at it!You don't think that this has any connection with the perpetrator of previous similar scams much discussed on these pages, do you (yes, you all know who I mean)?CheersGerrishUK