Sign in to follow this  

WBC31.zip

I posted my concern about this upload which unzipped with no documentation, nothing except a executable. I asked if anyone had used it sucessfully but got no reply. Now there is a report of FS being damaged after installation of this file. It may be a coincidence or bug. Since the author provided no contact, there is no way to ask him about it. The lack of contact or documentation is suspecious in itself.Would some of the over 600 downloaders of this file please tell us about their experience with it?The fact that virus checkers find nothing wrong with it doesn't mean anything as an FS specific program could do things that a virus checker wouldn't detect.Michael Lyons, if you are out there, please step forward. Sorry if I have offended you but you really should include a readme with your uploads.

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Roger,Did you download the previous versions like version 2? That version came with extensive documentation and you can also find more information at http://communities.msn.com/WeightandBalanc...ebsite/homepageI imagine that the author assumes prior familiarity with the program. I haven't downloaded version 3.1 yet but from the blurb I read on AVSIM a few days ago it was just an update to fix some problems.What exact damage is the program doing to FS? And more importantly how would the inclusion of a Readme file prevent the alleged damage?

Ah, it has a web site! And the fellow is away a lot protecting us from our enemies. I wasn't familiar with the earlier program. It's pretty clear now that this is legit and I'm sorry I raised the question.There is still the possibility of a bug causing unintended consequences. Does anyone know whether this program writes to the air file, the cfg file, or directly to the FS variables?

As far as I know, at least from the FS2000 version, it changes a single line in the aircraft.cfg file. I haven't used it with FS2002 yet. I'm curious why you appear so panicked. This is the second post on this issue I've seen from you in the past few days.

This is curious... A search in the library shows a WBC version 3, but not a version 3.1... Did it get pulled, or is it just the clunky library search engine at work on me again?

Unfortunately, the program does have side consequences. I thought I had lost my flight models to the 172, dassault, KA 350, Grabowski's Embraers, the Baron, etc. I had modified only a couple of heavies with the WBC program, but apparently it arbitrarily went ahead and modified others for me as well! Anyway, I just found out that in some of my folders, there was an "aircraft.old" which was either formed at the time I modified the planes (these being the ones that I wanted to modify, not the victims) in the first place, or it was formed when I went into the WBC program, after realizing the problem, and manually hit the "restore default" button on each and every affected aircraft. Either way, you need to have or need to get an "aircraft.old" file in the aircraft folder, remove the aircraft.cfg formed by the WBC program(which is usually dated later than the .old file if there is any confusion), and then rename the .old file to .cfg.Got it? Hopefully that gibberish made sense. Ciao!By the way, freeware developers as a whole should be praised every chance you get!!! Even if their products have some faults here and there, they are better than nothing...and most importantly it took hundreds of hours to create something that either: you didn't know how to do, or didn't want to take the time to do... hence their time investment, from even a mere micro-economic analysis becomes extremely valuable!!!! It's all about "opportunity cost analysis".P4 1.8768 ram 80 gig hardriveVisiontek Ti4 4600CH yoke/pedals19" inch monitor-Soundblaster PCI 512Win XPPrivate PilotAOPALawyerPilots Bar AssociationNTSB Bar AsssociationPIC- Warrior, Archer, 172N-SP, Aztec, Malibu SIC (for fun)- Conquest, Ram 421c"Men without dreams are never free, twas thus this way and thus will ever be."

I never run a downloaded executable that isn't recognized by winzip unless I'm pretty sure of the source. I asked about it in the first post. Then someone said they were having problems after running it. "Paniced" is poor word choice. If you run a lot of unknown exe files on your computer in today's environment, it won't be long before you learn where I was coming from on this one.