Sign in to follow this  
Guest cfryan

Floating Runways in FS9

Guest cfryan

Hi allI have created a Flatten switch to lower a raised airport scenery down to the same altitude as the surrounding countryside..this works fine however the Runways are still floating at the altitude of the previous raised airport. Is there a method of bringing these floating runways down to the same level as the surrounding area. I believe that the runways are hard coded into FS9, but wondered if it is possible to identify the particular .bgl file of that airport and somehow change the Runway elevation.Would deleting the original AFCAD file work, and then creating a new runway with Lee Swordys AFCAD?Any help or advise on this would be appreciated.Clive

Guest bones

If an AFCAD file has already been created for the airfield then open this in AFCAD2 and change the airfield and runway elevations.Word of warning - changing airfield altitudes causes problems elsewhere. You will find the AI aircraft still fixed at the FS default height. In your case (and mine) the result is that the aircraft will be floating many feet in the air.You can fix this with JABBgl but this may lead to awkward joins between the airfield boundary and the surrounding mesh..boneshttp://fsaviation.net

Guest cfryan

Hi BonesThanks for your impout. I have actually created a new AFCAD file for this airport, but miy aircraft still shows up as sitting on the Rwys at the previous elevation.How does the JABbgl progy work and is it available on Avsim?CheersClive

Guest bones

Make sure you change the elevations in all the AFCAD sections - for each runway as well as the general airport data section.JABBgl finds the airfield elevation in FS9 that is not available in AFCAD but which controls the trigger mechanism for AI aircraft. It will rewrite the default FS BGL so ensure you make a backup of this.boneshttp://fsaviation.net

Guest cfryan

Thanks BonesI downloaded JABBGL and have changed the runway elevations, but do not see any difference having done that....the visual runways are still at the old elevations, even though when I go back into JabBGL it shows the runway elevations at the new altitudes. this one has me a little puzzled.Clive