Sign in to follow this  
Guest Deimos

Need some help getting started

I'm sure this must have been asked before, but I have given up on googling and visiting websites... though an RTFM answer would be perfectly acceptable as long as the manual is pointed out to me.I am trying to do my first work in scenery designing, specifically targeting FS2004 where I want to replace an airport. I felt that a good first step would be to remove the default airport and replace with just a (photoreal) texture... enter problem.It was my initial understanding that I could use Ground2K4 for this, but I can not get it to generate any files... except the exclude.bgl, and something is fishy with that one. If nothing else, the exclude tool just have 4-5 specified items that I can exclude, and the rest is some unnamed general stuff. Spent a whole evening trying to figure this out.Now I have downloaded Terrabuilder LITE, which I was told should support FS2004, but it apparently doesn't? Having configured the tool I generated my project and ended up with a lot of TGA-files, and a single BGL. Placing these files inside my FS2004 scenery-folder I at least get some reaction, the default ground-texture is removed (dunno what it is that replaces it though), the airport itself remains and my own texture is... at least not visible.Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Or point me at a really good FAQ? I would write one myself, but I kind of need the answer for that../Deimos

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

For FS2004 excludes, you could try ExcBuilder -- I've included some details in my airport tutorial:http://www.windowlight.co.nz/newtools4.htmlWith this you can select which types of FS2004 you need to exclude. The photoreal ground textures which Terrabuilder makes work great in FS2004, but it seems you are running the wrong wizard. I know that Misho always insists that you do the tutorial, as this steps you through a specific project, so you can fix any problems along the way. You should at least read through the tutorial. Terrabuilder is tricky to set up (there are lots of support tools which need to be installed) but once you get it working it's pretty effortless to make great scenery.There is no one FAQ for scenery design, but you could try these sites:www.scenerydesign.orgwww.windowlight.co.nz (my site)and spend some time on the Avsim forums.Visit the Windowlight forum on Avsim... everything you need to know about New Zealand flightsim sceneryhttp://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=sho...forum=203&page=

Thank you for your answer,I had run the tutorial successfully, but didn't realize that I had set up my own project differently. The wizard allowed me to change some directories, which I did, not realizing that it would cause incorrect operation of TerraBuilder.Makes me wonder why it was configurable at all... oh well. I have more problems now, new ones, but I'll try to figure them out myself before posting again :)