Sign in to follow this  
Guest Max Cowgill

pc upgrade,is it worth it?

Hi all,I'm thinking of upgrading my system,and would like to know if it's worth the money.Here is my system as of now:Compaq presario with AMD Athlon 950mghz,windows ME,512RAM,GeForce 3 TI200.Was wondering if i would see much difference with what i was looking for:New motherboard,at least 266 bus speed,AMD XP1800+,put in another case with my other components(around 600$ canadian(300-400$US).Should i do it?Thanks for any replyBest regardsRichard

Guest Max Cowgill

>Hi all,I'm thinking of upgrading my system,and would like to >know if it's worth the money. >Here is my system as of now:Compaq presario with AMD Athlon >950mghz,windows ME,512RAM,GeForce 3 TI200. >>Was wondering if i would see much difference with what i was >looking for:New motherboard,at least 266 bus speed,AMD >XP1800+,put in another case with my other components(around >600$ canadian(300-400$US). Richard, you would *definitely* see a performance boost by upgrading to a new mobo, CPU, and RAM. There may be a problem with putting a new mobo in your Compaq though, since OEMs tend to use proprietary case designs to prevent users from installing new mobos (they claim this is for the user's benefit but I don't see how this benefits users). Before purchasing a new mobo, you'll want to make sure that your case can support a *standard* ATX or micro ATX mobo, and does not require that you purchase a mobo directly from Compaq (in which case you're S.O.L. unless you want to buy a new case and PSU).Max Cowgill