Sign in to follow this  
Guest PaulL01

Elrond...AMD Thoroughbred question..

Guest PaulL01

Elrond,Do you know whats up with the Thoroughbred XPxxxx CPUs as far as compatability wise will they require a newer board than say my EPox-8kha+ ? I am starting to hear that samples of the smaller 0.13 micron die XP1900 are making the rounds and from what I understand these run on any current socket A DDR boards. Do you have any info on this? ThanksPaul

Guest Max Cowgill

Paul, I'm not Elrond but I do know that the Tbreds are *supposed* to run on current socket A mobos that support Palominos, and are being validated for such mobos as we speak. Some mobos have already been validated, but I can't remember where I saw the current list... I'll dig around a bit and see what I can find for you :)Max Cowgill

Guest PaulL01

>Paul, I'm not Elrond but I do know that the Tbreds are >*supposed* to run on current socket A mobos that support >Palominos, and are being validated for such mobos as we >speak. Some mobos have already been validated, but I can't >remember where I saw the current list... I'll dig around a >bit and see what I can find for you :) >>Max Cowgill Thanks Max,I tried AMD's site but couldn't find a thing. Must be burried in there some where. :)Signing off till AM, have a great night.Paul

Hi Paul,Its hard to say in a general sense that all current SocketA boards will support the Tbred simply because so many manufacturers have differing levels of support for voltages and BIOS updates. Generally, if a board has support built in for 1.6v, it has the ability to support the Tbred. Whether the various manufactures provide an updated BIOS that recognizes the Tbreds is another matter entirely: most of the brand name boards from the likes of ABIT, ASUS, Epox, etc provide frequent updates and the likelihood is good that they would in this case as well.In your specific instance, I do have some knowledge as I sell quite a few 8KHA(+) boards. If you've got a v2 or better board (should be silkscreened on the PCB itself), I do believe the latest BIOS revision will support the Tbred. I haven't received a Tbred to confirm personally though, so consider this a generalization from me - I'm almost positive you won't have any problems.The only boards that I'm aware of that have already been validated for Tbred are the ABIT AT7 and KR7A. Both have BIOS updates out now for Tbred support. Now whether your board will support the much more exciting Barton release with 512KB of cache (still at 133 FSB) this early fall, I wouldn't speculate. It too should be released before the platform changing Hammer, but its requirements are still to early to nail down. Epox is a good bet for such a platform though as they do provide extremely tweakable boards overall and release BIOS updates quite often. I myself am looking forward much more to Barton compared to Tbred as the Tbred should have almost identical performance to the existing Palominos. The Tbred may be ideal for overclocking of course (specially once the next stepping is released).Take care,http://members.rogers.com/eelvish/elrondlogo.gifhttp://members.rogers.com/eelvish/flyurl.gif

Guest PaulL01

Thanks for the info Elrond.I may put off purchase of the XP2100 till the T-breds have been out. :)RegardsPaul