Sign in to follow this  

having problems with MSFS2002 and windows XP

Hi y'all :). I recently "upgraded" to Windoze xp and am going through hell getting FS2002 to work well with it. I had to override the refresh rate in DXDiag so I had less eyestrain, I have a CH usb rudder pedals and usb joystick, but the rudder-pedals always go to controller ID 1 in the control panel, so alot of games get confused..and there's no way I know of to force the joystick to ID #1 and the pedals to #2. I have a creative soundblaster Xgamer 5.1 soundcard with the xp drivers, but get distorted sounds in FS2k2. Finally..after exiting FS2k2 I get an "MS error report" that needs to be sent to MS(like they're even going to look at it).I'm thoroughly disgusted with Windows XPerimental and am going back to win98 se. Sorry for "venting", but this OS was not ready for gamers. See you in the blue, YoramP.S. Bill Gates..you owe me $99 + NY sales tax (8.25%)

hi yoramI've just got rid of XP.got windows ME instead.so much better...quickinstall of all my software with no problems...fs2002 runs really well.i did use win98se but for me winME is better.i had problems with my sound in winXP ,and joystickrudder problems as well(not USB). seemed like one problem after another,so XP had to go.....if possible use winME, you won't be disappointed. best wishes steve

Hi YoramI have been using XP PRO since day 1 no problems with ch usb products etc! etc! Just look through the forums and you will find the answers to all of your problems!! Trust me you do not want to go backwards to Win Me or 98se they are no where near as stable. There is a little bit more of a learning curve but after you have updated all video sound and game controllers drivers yuo will be fine! You can also disable the MS error reporting just dig up some web pages on XP tweaksRegardsWayne

Guest PhilC

Yoram,XP does allow you to asssign which controller will be the primary for older games.Go to Control Panel, Game Controllers. Click on the Advanced button and make your choice.I have had no problems running FS2002 with XP and my USB CH Yoke and pedals work great. My only problem is that every once in a while the yoke and/or pedals do not operate when I first start FS2002. I just simply unplug the offending controller (I use a hub), wait for the computer tone telling me the controller is unplugged and plug it back in. When the PC makes the connection sound, everything works fine. Don't know what causes this but it happens so rarely that it has never been a problem.PS - I have never had a M$ operating system as stable and functional as XP. I would never go back.

Hi,We just bought a new computer with Windows XP and I bought FS2002 Pro right after that. FS2002 is working just fine. I do have a USB joystick and the computer never recongnizes it until I unplug it and plug it back in, but that is a minor annoyance since the port is on the front of the computer. (But if anone knows how to fix that, I'd like to hear about it).Take care,Kurt

Here is the easiest solution:Install a removable Hard Drive Kit: You have to buy 2 of them,(to use the removable part from the second one) They're about $14 each. Have one hard drive for your original XP and the other for Windows ME. Swap them to your hearts content.When I have to scan something I use WIndows ME because it has always worked well for me. For everything else I use XP.It's advisable to have a drive D: because this becomes common to both systems! and facilitates the easy transfer of files.orYou can use one exclusively for FS! with the same operating system on both!I prefer this method to multi boot systems!Try it, you'll like it.