Sign in to follow this  

Two simple questions: can you help, PLEASE?

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

Hi friends, can you please help me?1) how do i detect ice while flying, so i can enable deice?2) especially when slowing down during approach (and AP on,HDG - IAS - ALT) the attitude gauge tell me that nose is always too high, no matter which aircraft i'm flying and also at 250 Kts!How can i correct this, given AP on? I cannot trim nose down because AP is handling the plane itself. The only think i can do is turning AP off and fly manually :-(Thanks in advanceLuigi ;-)

Guest KenG

1) Icing is not modeled in MSFS. However, it the real world, it will accumulate on the surface of the plane when there is visible moisture and the collecting surface is below freezing.2) What do you mean by the nose being too high? It is not abnormal for the nose to be pitched up several degrees, especially when you are heavy and/or it is hot. Most planes do not fly, even at cruise speed, with their wings exactly parallel to the ground. However, as you get closer to the ground and slow down the effect appears magnified. If you are heavy, you will need to maintain a higher angle of attack for any given airspeed.One of the primary functions of flaps is to allow you to pitch the nose down (decreasing angle of attack) without increasing speed. A benefit of this is to allow for a better view of the runway.

Guest LSangiovanni LIML

much appreciated!Fly safeLuigi ;-)

If the nose seems too high, you can always raise the seat (shift+enter). Also try zooming out. I'm assuming you wish to see more of the ground during your flight?-Rob

I can recall several occasions where I appeared to have experienced Pitot Icing while flying in clouds. My airspeed indicator read Zero and turning on Pitot Heat fixed it after a few seconds.I do turn on the appropriate Anti-Icing equipment when appropriate as a precaution in case I do experience some other form of icing.-Leon Medado

You're talking about two different things.PITOT is the device that measures airspeed using little stringy things, if I recall. They freeze up, requiring PITOT heat (should be turned on well before the condition occurs). But flight surface icing causes all sorts of other nightmares. With ice on the wings, the shape changes, making flight more interesting than just not knowing the airspeed.Thomas LinTaxiwaySigns.comVolunteers (testers and designers) needed, please visit the site for information

>PITOT is the device that measures airspeed using little >stringy things, if I recall. They freeze up, requiring >PITOT heat (should be turned on well before the condition >occurs). >>But flight surface icing causes all sorts of other >nightmares. With ice on the wings, the shape changes, >making flight more interesting than just not knowing the >airspeed. >Yeah I know how surface icing and pitot icing are different.So I take it from your statement that the pitot freezing up does not constitute an "icing" situation as implied by the original poster but merely one that requires the use of pitot heat which is not a part of the aircraft's anti/de-icing equipment? If so than thanks for clearing that up.Regardless, there is an icing setting in the weather system of FS. AFAIK this would cause the pitot to freeze up in the game, but nothing else. Most of the default aircraft also have de-icing equipment installed. Is this all just for show or is it simply that the conditions that have to exist in FS to create flight surface icing differ too much from those in reality?-Leon Medado