Sign in to follow this  
Guest simpilot

Vcore Settings

Guest simpilot

Would someone be kind enough to explain Vcore settings to me.I have an Asus A7V mobo and a Tbird 950 AMD. I read somewhere that the default Vcore setting was 1.75 for my CPU and that I could overclock it safely by changing the Vcore and the FSB multipliers provided that I had adequate cooling. Needless to say, FS2K2 seems to be requiring me to get as much performance out of my current set-up and I am trying to be frugal at the moment except by adding a new video card. At any rate, I am not quite sure about setting the FSB since it seems that it is locked in my BIOS however, I was able to increase the Vcore to 1.8o and experienced a pretty good performance increase in dense scenery areas to actually make it pretty flyable in some FPS killer sceneries such as Airport2000 v3 and Simflyers. My question is how do I know what my processor is running at when I increase the voltage. I have tried to search on the net but, I cannot seem to find a "laymans" explanation.Cheers!Richard

Guest PaulL01

>Would someone be kind enough to explain Vcore settings to >me. >I have an Asus A7V mobo and a Tbird 950 AMD. I read >somewhere that the default Vcore setting was 1.75 for my CPU >and that I could overclock it safely by changing the Vcore >and the FSB multipliers provided that I had adequate >cooling. Needless to say, FS2K2 seems to be requiring me to >get as much performance out of my current set-up and I am >trying to be frugal at the moment except by adding a new >video card. At any rate, I am not quite sure about setting >the FSB since it seems that it is locked in my BIOS however, >I was able to increase the Vcore to 1.8o and experienced a >pretty good performance increase in dense scenery areas to >actually make it pretty flyable in some FPS killer sceneries >such as Airport2000 v3 and Simflyers. My question is how do >I know what my processor is running at when I increase the >voltage. I have tried to search on the net but, I cannot >seem to find a "laymans" explanation. >>Cheers! >Richard Increasing the core voltage is necessary when starting to "push" the CPU via the clock multiplier or for the CPU and memory when overclocking via the FSB. There is NO performance increase for increasing the voltage only, just added heat and being closer to frying your CPU.As you O/C you always want to use the least amount of voltage necessary for running stable. Increased voltage also means more heat, thus the need for adequate cooling and the desire for "the right voltage" setting or sweet spot as it were. Richard, with all due respect there are many "tech" sites that cater to these type of questions much better than this forum ever could (no disrespect to others here, tis just a fact).I suggest you try a searching for these sites, in the mean time here is a great place to start:http://www.overclockers.comPaul

Guest simpilot

Paul,No offense taken.I have checked this forum as well as others on the Internet and have yet to really find an explanation to Vcore and how it related to overclocking. Thus my question here.I have seen charts of others who overclocked while still maintaining the same FSB speeds and all they did was up the voltage for I was under the impression that the FSB had to be changed as well hence my question.I will continue looking on the net.Thanks for the reply Paul!Cheers!Richard