Sign in to follow this  
Shaka

Question about custom terrain textures...

Hi there,Recently, I've been experimenting with custom terrain textures. These are the 4.8m/pixel ones that originally came with the FS2000 SDK. This is not my area of expertise. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe these textures are always displayed as complete squares. That is to say, I can't use an alpha channel to allow the normal landclass textures to show through. Any alpha channel will instead show up as water. Are these statements correct?My great idea was to use custom terrain textures on a small "non-square" area, and I wanted them to blend into the surrounding area nicely. So, if I want to display custom textures on my "non-square" area, I will have to use a different method - correct?- Martin

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hello Martin,You can create (add) custom terrain textures directly with the MS SDK resample tool. In this case, the transparency in the textures will show as water.You can also add the same terrain textures by creating VTP polygons. In this case you can use transparency in the normal way. My tool Sbuilder uses this method for photo scenery creation.However there is a small problem which is common to all VTP type of scenery - when the polygon intersects "LOD13" borders, small gaps may appear depending on the settings (MIP) of FS.Regards, Luis

>You can also add the same terrain textures by creating VTP>polygons. In this case you can use transparency in the normal>way. My tool Sbuilder uses this method for photo scenery>creation.Yes I thought about this method also, but I initially rejected it because of the requirement to install the textures into the FS global texture directory - I am trying to keep it simple for end users. I suppose I could use an installer to do this but...I've been playing around with SBuilder lately. I haven't tried all the functions yet, but it seems as close to an all-in-one program as we're ever going to get. I'll keep experimenting with it.- Martin