Sign in to follow this  
Guest nwa60

Library File vs Placement File

Guest nwa60

Hi all,Let me preface my problem by saying that I am relatively new to custom scenery object design but not to object placement.I am using FS9 along with FSDS3 and EZ Scenery. The problem I am runnign into is this:After placing my custom scenery objects with EZS into my "airport.bgl" file, restart FS9 and all is well. I add some of the EZS freeware objects to the "airport.bgl" file and all looks good.To test my "airport.bgl" file, I removed my "custom object library.bgl" file from the FS9 scenery folder, restarted FS9 and find that all of my "custom objects" have vanished BUT the freeware EZS objects are still there. I then place my "custom object library.bgl" back in the FS9 scenery path, restart FS9 and my custom objects reappear.I have read all of the documentation that I can find on object placement using EZS along with about every thread on several foums, but cannot seem to get around this issue. It would not be a problem if I were just going to use this scenery for myself, but I would like to distribute it and do not want to have to include the "custom library.bgl" along with my "airport.bgl". I've seen no one else having to do this in their scenery distribution files.I hope I have explained this properly and given enough info for someone to pass along a hint or two to what I could be doing wrong or missing completely.Thanks in advance,Larry

What you are describing is the way it is meant to work. The placement file is simply that -- it includes the placement data only. The only reason you still see the EZscenery objects is that they are included in their own libraries, separate from the placement file. Disable these libraries and they'll disappear as well.If you decompile the placement file, it will show the objects referenced by GUID only. The GUIDs show the sim where to pull the model data from -- it could be a default library, an EZScenery-type library file, or a specific addon scenery library file.I suspect that it would be rather unusual if you have not seen sceneries with separate library and placement files. All my sceneries work this way.However you can get around this by combining the library and placement XML code to produce one BGL. This is one way in which designers stop their custom model libraries becoming accessible to library placement tools.RobinGodzone Virtual Flight, for 'Real New Zealand' sceneryhttp://www.windowlight.co.nz

Guest nwa60

Hi Robin,Thanks for the reply!>What you are describing is the way it is meant to work. The>placement file is simply that -- it includes the placement>data only. The only reason you still see the EZscenery objects>is that they are included in their own libraries, separate>from the placement file. Disable these libraries and they'll>disappear as well.OK, I understand that part, but, this being my first "custom" scenery, I was unaware that this was the norm. (Been banging my head against the wall for nuthin'!)>If you decompile the placement file, it will show the objects>referenced by GUID only. The GUIDs show the sim where to pull>the model data from -- it could be a default library, an>EZScenery-type library file, or a specific addon scenery>library file.I've done this and noticed the above. I guess the thing that throws me is my misunderstanding of how FS9 calls the Model, or XML files to present them in the sim. Not knowing the makeup of a BGL file, this was hard to envision. Thnx...>I suspect that it would be rather unusual if you have not seen>sceneries with separate library and placement files. All my>sceneries work this way.>However you can get around this by combining the library and>placement XML code to produce one BGL. This is one way in>which designers stop their custom model libraries becoming>accessible to library placement tools.I tried combining the two files and had no issues.So, you are saying that the library file of my custom objects "must" be included in the distribution package along with the airport scenery files, textures, AFCad, etc.? Sorry for being so thick-headed here!Thnx in advance,Larry

>So, you are saying that the library file of my custom objects>"must" be included in the distribution package along with the>airport scenery files, textures, AFCad, etc.? Sorry for being>so thick-headed here!>>Thnx in advance,>LarryYes.The library concept was meant to be simpler, I think, but a lot of folk get confused. It really depends on how you arrive at your scenery design methods. It's certainly different from the old days.The type of design method represented by EZ Scenery libraries is the biggest hurdle -- the designer really needs to keep his libraries under control and organised.Any object which shows up in the EZ Scenery library list is either:a) a default object, in which case it'll show up on any system;:( a third party library object, in which case you need to point the end user to the library download, or include it with your scenery;c) or your own objects, which you need to supply anyway. In the last case your objects are added to the list of available library objects, so people who install your scenery can assume that they are available for use in other projects. That generally isn't what the designer intended. And of course these custom objects are probably not available for distribution unless you legitimately have the original scenery.I'm sure that Abacus envisioned this a little tidier. Designers would create libraries and make them available to scenery designers and end users.These libraries may become famous 'must-have' downloads, or not. The designers (who do not build their own models) would only need to distribute the placement files. However they would have to let the user know what libraries are required. Too many designers just end up with a huge pile of library objects and no idea where they came from.

Guest nwa60

Robin,Thanks again. This really clears things up and answers many questions.I still have a few issues to resolve (AFCad, AI traffic scheduling, texturing, etc.), but, your info has made the distribution process much less of a problem.Take care,Larry