Sign in to follow this  
Kosta

Tracking down scenery errors

I guess I'm not alone with my problem, so I think helpful hints would be beneficial for others too:Over time, at least my "scenery" (I use this word for all the files and mechanisms that in the end visualize a virtual world in FS) becomes corrupt for unknown reasons.The symptoms then are double coastlines, straight land borders, missing shores, rectangular objects in water, terrain partially covered by semi-transparent water bodies, buildings in the water etc. etc.These problems follow me since I can remember, they pop up at some place any time and sometimes are the reason for unexpected CTDs.The root cause, at least what I suppose, are either missing or too many scenery files of some sort, so they either cannot be loaded at all (my experience is that FS tends to silently quit in such situations) or overlap to a certain degree.Left over files or file deletions by some add-on could easily corrupt the wealth of scenery data on the FS directories and result in that kind of scenery data inconsistency.The question now is how to track down such problems, i.e. how to tell which files overlap and which are missing.LWMViewer comes to my mind, as does filemon, both tools of which I don't know whether they're really suitable for troubleshooting: what filters need to be set in filemon to highlight missed files, and does LWMViewer really "simulate" what FS would do in scenery loading?Apart from (a lengthy) re-installing everything from scratch (which isn't a perfect solution since sooner or later I'd be at the same point again), is there any recommendation from the experts how to deal with this kind of problems? As I said, I bet I'm not alone here, I only wonder how others do...P.S.: currently, I have big troubles with FlyTampa's new VHHX, rectangular blocks of terrain in the ocean, at some places I have the impression that two water objects overlap and one is 50% transparent etc. I'd like to get these nasty problems sorted out once for all, it drives me crazy every time I encounter that sh*t!Andreas

My opinion: tried both ways, found out the latter one (reinstalling) much less painful. From time to time I learned to make a ghost image of new installation, so I can come back to it. But usually, almost always, I have to do a complete reinstall. Also learned how to keep the files in order, so I prolong that moment, but its only prolonging. There is no avoiding it. Its the same sh*t like windows... with time, its cluttered, registry full, you can only do a reinstall.Right now I am tracking an error that happens after 8 hour flight. Doesn't happen if you do a 3 hour flight or if you do 8hr flight on 4x speed. Only real time 8 hours. And it only happens from KATL to EGKK. Only specific route. Its some scenery. I am redoing the flight for 10th time or so... but I will find the bugger.