Sign in to follow this  
Guest sgreenwood

scenery library

I have mesh-, landclass- and airport-sceneries. In which order do I have to put them in my FS2K2 scenery library to work well?. In other words which scenery must have the highest priority and so on.

Werver -I put all mesh in individual folders in FS2002Scenedb, all landclass in Fs2002Scenery, and all airports in a folder outside of Fs2002. (Seperated by area, e.g. Alaska, California, England, etc.)This has always worked for me, with no problems.Schofi

An additional question is about the Mesh handling:i've heard that many mesh's can be in the same folder until the smallest Mesh will be drawn above all (higher priority), where i am not shure what is defined as "smaller"? File size or LOD definition?i do nearly the same organization: that Mesh's are located in a separate folder, also the rest of add on sceneries:in addon scenery i have subfolders divided into continents, then countries and (in USA subdivision in States and) there are the different folders. Mesh's i have stored country -separated whenever possible... BUT in the Layer order, ALL Meshes are below the Standard City Sceneries (Tokyo, Berlin, New York, etc), so i never get problems with "flying" houses.finally, Landclass files i put all into the Main SCENERY -Folder.all the add on scenery -layers i grouped based on their characteristics (assigned each scenery to its most apropiate group) and so one labeled them in the FS2002 -Scenery "Organizer" :-o as e.g."airport - LSZH" or "small regions - Madrid"in following order (first above):- Single Objects (e.g. special landmark, "Stonehege", etc.)- Airports (e.g. Complete airfield with surrounding buildings)- small regions (e.g. a city area with buildings, main roads, etc.) - big regions (e.g. a whole country with many cities)- default FS2002 city layers- Mesh- rest of default FS2002 layersSaludosFrancis

Guest sgreenwood

Hello Francis,The way the mesh is actually processed and displayed in each frame in the sim is very complex.Basics:-------First, it does not matter where you install the mesh, since the sim does not consider layers where mesh is concerned. (But perhaps it should). Mesh information for all "active" Scenery Library areas is "pooled", and the sim uses mesh available for an area using the following rules to resolve conflicts:1) When the LOD values differ, the higher LOD level mesh file is used.However, mesh with an LOD of 12 or greater will not be used unless you manually set TERRAIN_MAX_VERTEX_LEVEL=21 in your fs2002.cfg [TERRAIN] section.2) When the LOD values are the same, the higher source data resolution mesh file is used.Seemingly irrelevant factors include:* directories where mesh files are located* priority/level assigned* sequence in which mesh files are installed* alphabetical sorting sequence of mesh filenamesIn Practice:------------The sim often uses two or more sets of mesh.The sim uses always the default (very) low resolution mesh in the distance.As the sim builds the terrain from the distance to the foreground, it will begin to include data from other mesh files, if available and desireable. As the LOD of the mesh increases, the radius where it is rendered decreases, so (if the data is available) you may have LOD10 mesh in the foreground, LOD9 beyond that, ..., and finally the default (LOD5/6) mesh out to the horizon.Notes:------LOD - Level of Detail - specified by the mesh developer, determines the horizontal spacing of elevation data in the mesh file. And the priority mentioned above. High LOD numbers mean closer/smaller spacing of elevation data points.The "realism" of the terrain rendered in the sim is determined by the accuracy (resolution) of the source elevation data.Unfortunately, high LOD mesh created from low resolution source data will "hide" lower LOD mesh created from higher resolution source data. This situation does not occur very often, but is a real source of confusion/frustration when it does. For this reason, I put all addon scenery/mesh in the ADDON SCENERY/ area, using separate folders for mesh from different sources. This way I can deactivate areas for testing.Hope this helps.Stevewww.fs-traveler.com