Sign in to follow this  

Mesh scenery help...

Hello all,I have seen several posts regarding programs used for the importing of DEM files or grayscale images to create detailed mesh scenery. However I'm wondering if there is a way to accomplish this without purchasing elevation data from the USGS...I'm designing a freeware replacement scenery for the stock Hartsfield Atlanta Int'l Airport, and I've divided the project into three parts: 1) The paved surfaces of the airport including rwy/taxiways/ramps, NLVR's, and surrounding roads/highways. These were made in FSSC. 2) All above ground structures including terminals, hangars, fuel farms, and radio aid to navigation (RVR equipment, ILS shacks, the VORTAC, LLWAS towers, approach light structures, etc). These are being constructed in 3DSMax and GMAX. 3) The local terrain mesh. The ground drops off drastically very near several of the runway thresholds, resulting in approach lights being mounted on structures in order to elevate them to the same plane as the runway. This is where I need help...The resolution of the mesh needs to be very high to get the desired effect. It does not need to cover a very large area, just within an area that extends, say, 1-2 miles out from the airport perimeter. I know very little about LOD's, so I'm not sure what "resolution" would yield the desired effect.Can I somehow graphically manipulate, and/or add elevation points? If If there is no simple solution for this mesh terrain "beginner", would someone be willing to help out on the project?I appreciate your input.Best Regards,Nick

Guest sgreenwood

Hi Nick,Here is one approach, which may help you get started.>without purchasing elevation data from the USGS...You can download free USGS elevation data from http://seamless.usgs.gov/viewer.htm.>The resolution of the mesh needs to be very high to get >the desired effect.The highest resolution they offer for your area seems to be 1 arcsec (~30m). This is pretty good resolution data, at least to start with; the default Atlanta area mesh is LOD6 (probabably ~1000m source data).>just within an area that extends, say, 1-2 miles out from the>airport perimeter.Area covered depends on LOD and location; the width/height of a single LOD10 quadrant is 9784 m.>Can I somehow graphically manipulate, and/or add elevation points?Well, yes. You can edit existing points, or increase the resolution, adding many points, but the result may not be as precise as you would like. You will need the FS terrain SDK to go further. Check my website for more details. (Sorry, no step-by-step instructions yet.)USGS elevation data -> MicroDem -> MicroDem file -> BIGBSQ -> "dem" file -> Resample, ... -> bgl mesh fileStevewww.fs-traveler.com

Steve,Thanks for the response. I'm heading over to your site right now...Thanks again.Regards,Nick