Sign in to follow this  
Guest roto2

Will FS2004 use SRTM data?

Been looking all over for the answer to this question. I am torn between getting Eddie Denney's data or waitng for FS2004 hoping it would be an upgrade as far as Elevation Data?ThanksDanny

Good question... for North and South America maybe they will use it, since that data is now available.But for the rest of the world the data has not been publicly released yet, so unless microsoft have special access to it I dont think they will be using it (for the rest of the world)In any case the SRTM 3 arc sec data (ie 90m) at LOD9 is a lot of CD space... and i think Microsft is shippping FS2004 only on 3 or 4 CD's.But of course they could resample to LOD8 which is a lot smaller, and looks almost as good.But having said all that, the simple answer from me is, I dont know! :)Matthew.

Thank you very much, Matthew. I am sure you are right. I guess we will have to just go ahead and go with what we are all doing, making what we need. I am going to try to figure out how to make some West Virginia Mesh, I downloaded that Eddie Denney old scenery and it looks pretty good, can't imagine what the new stuff looks like. Sure would be great to see a bridge at New River Gorge also. Has anyone made one?Thanks a Bunch, Danny

Guest roto2

Probably they are not going to include SRTM DEM from outside USA in FS2004 due to restrictions on number of disks, e.g., just the South America 3 arc seconds SRTM data (~90m), in compressed format (ZIP,) is about 2Gb = ~3 CD-ROM.