Sign in to follow this  
Guest PhilM

Well, this is a quiet little neck of the woods.

Guest PhilM

Actually has a post from last month on the first page :)The other forums go at such a frantic pace their hard to keepup with at times :(.Anyhow to my question.....How hard would it be, to make up one'sown mesh by manualy entering in values form a Topographic map.No DEM data available (that I know of), for my area here in Australia.

Guest sgreenwood

Search for Grises50, here and on Google. It can be used to convert grayscale scans to RAW data which can be processed by the SDK. The problem with this approach is that most of the elevation data used to construct mesh has a vertical resolution of 1m or less. Resolutions you can construct with a reasonable amount of effort from a topo map are far less, so the terrain will probably have a blocky look to it unless you use a fairly low final resolution (LOD) as well.And the procedure is not entirely trivial. If you have no experience creating mesh, things may go smoother if you start with a more traditional approach. Once you understand the basic process, there will be fewer sources of confusion when you move to other data sources.I recommend downloading some 30m US data in BIL format from http://seamless.usgs.gov to start with. Don't try to start too small; about 1/8th of a degree (~square) will give you enough data to work with while avoiding common problems. Good luck,Stevewww.fs-traveler.com

Guest PhilM

Hi Sgreenwood,"Some practical issuesEnhanced terrain mesh files only provide more accurate elevation information. Many of the scenery elements in the simulator are at fixed locations and elevations. For example: roads, lakes, rivers, coastlines, and airports. These may no longer "fit" the improved terrain as well as they did the less accurate original data. Not much can be done to improve this situation at this time."Oh dear.... Yeah,...guess I'll just give up my dream of low level realistic flight. Mega Screnery USA and VFR England are great, but the desire to swoop low into vallies at tree top level may just be that....A dream untill some people hand texture the World at hedge level detail.40 or 50 years beyond my life expectancey I suppose :)In other words.....Much easier to Fly flat photo scenery than to try to merge photo and Hand placed Autogen objects,....oh well, We can all ,dream I guess, or just fly real planes,....Though...the last time I went for a "real" flight, the most overwheling thought I could think was....."This Just Don't look real."It all looked to clean and Toy like. Funny how different the ground looks from the Air. Funny how I can think, looking at the ground in "real " flight just looked phoney....but that "was my real visionary experience.... :)