Sign in to follow this  
Guest vlada stoje

Cannot re-mesh at airport boundaries

Guest Stormshadow

Hi all,I'm trying to re-mesh an area which includes the local airport. It appears that the airport boundary spans a greater area than the airport actually covers in that when I apply mesh to the area, everywhere is changed except the total area covered by the airport, which I repeat is far greater than the airport boundary is. This area is kept at the particular height (300 ft) and hence I can high gradient inclinations between the airport boundary and other areas which have been re-meshed.When I open the relevant hypxxxxx.bgl file to find the LOD13 areas which cover the total airport boundary, my search is futile!I have concluded that probably the terrain info is contained within another bgl.Is there a way I can 're-draw' the airport boundary such that re-mesh can cling satisfactorily ?Or is there some other working solution?CheersStorm

Guest Stormshadow

Hi Vlada,Big thanks for bringing to my attention that some airport data is contained within the fltxxxxxx.bgl files - I overlooked that, so cheers :-beerchug!!!I tracked down the particular file for my airport and did some changes to the LWM data and managed to make some areas mesh cling quite easily.It seems that you can change LWM data to re-draw the airport perimeter and keep this area only flattened. The excess area flattened by Microsoft can be removed by playing around with LWM coordinates.Tampering in the hyp and flt files has the portability disadvantage, but that seems to be the only way to modify such things...at least we can!Storm

Guest vlada stoje

Hi Storm,yes I fully agree, especially when the flatten is too large and covers important elevation details in the airport surrounding, the reduction of the flatten area is the only correct way. When the flatten has rational extent, but differs significantly from the precise terrain, there is possible also one different way, let the flatten as is and prepare the vertical correction of the source SRTM data to elastically fit the flatten. It is not only the simple local shift, because the airport can be on the hillside and the western threshold may need different correction as the eastern threshold:http://www.volny.cz/stoje/scen/srtm_lkcs_421m_01.gifAnd we can hope that this compromise is only provisional. In the future perhaps the FS airports and runways will be with real elevation profile matching the precise terrain?CheersVlada