Sign in to follow this  
Guest Giorgio

mesh in CFS2 and FS2k

Guest Giorgio

I've not been able to find any information about this so a direct question is necessary:although some claim that most mesh made for FS2k (or FS9) works well in CFS2, the contrary seems to be true, at least concerning recent files - most of them display spikes and pillars reaching for the sky at random points, and are thus completely useless in CFS2. This does not depend on the detail of the mesh itself, as the latest 10 LOD mesh of the Rhone basin by Thierry Pignot works fine, while for example the latest meshes by Nanucq or Pietro Mauri all show this feature in CFS2 (obviously not in FS2k). I imagine that there's some difference of format or of whatsoever - which difference and is it editable to CFS2 compatibility?thanks in advance for any hint,Giorgio

Guest jimkeir

Hi.There is a difference in mesh file format between FS9 and older sims, but as far as I know no publicly-available tools exist to create it.My guess would be that the more recent scenery is based upon SRTM data, which is usually of fairly dodgy quality. Are most of the spikes near water? Water has particularly noisy data in the SRTM set and, in the older sims, it's not necessarily flattened. Spikes of up to 15m or so could easily be down to this.SRTM data also has gaps in it, which get filled in by various means which are rarely seamless.If you don't mind the mesh-creation mafia turning up at 3AM, could you name some specific files or maybe post a few screenshots?Regards,Jim Keir.

Guest Giorgio

Jim, apparently I'm not able to attach an image to this file...I'll try to explain. It could be a side-effect of SRTM mesh, but it is not equivalent to the customary ripples and lumps left by SRTM mesh on water: actually it happens indifferently over water and land. Just to describe: a single or more (entire walls made of) cilindrical shapes going from land level up to the sky, popping out istantly as you open the sim or randomly, as you fly over the terrain. As an example, I can quote FM_England by Nanucq Faitmain - as the first excellent meshes Nanucq made did not display this problem, I was particularly put off...sorry again for the image,Giorgio

Guest jimkeir

Hi.I downloaded the England scenery and took a look at the data, and I can't seen anything unusual. I don't have CFS2 myself so I can't test it out there.The only other thing I can think of is that something else you've installed recently in the same area has LWM files that aren't intended for CFS2 but I think this is a long shot. Try disabling all other add-on scenery and try the mesh again. If that doesn't help, I'm stuck :( Someone with a copy of CFS2 should be able to help. Sorry.Regards,Jim Keir

Guest Giorgio

Jim, thanks for the kind attention you paid to this rather bizarre problem. I have already attempted a clean installation, but the artifacts as it seems are there to remain. I continue to think that it depends on the mesh files and not on the installation; who knows, maybe someone will somehow step forward with an answer.Thanks again,Giorgio

Guest MartinW

I`m afraid there are 2 sorts of mesh out there.Those created using the FS2000 resample tools and those created with the FS2002 resample.exe.The first type works in CFS2 but the second doesn`t. Something about the format of the bgl files it creates isn`t properly supported in CFS2.As more recent mesh tends to be done with the FS2002 tools it won`t be compatible with CFS2

Guest Giorgio

Thanks Martin, it had to be like that, and now I know for sure. Consolation is that tools like SRTM_to_BGL still produce mesh files compatible with CFS2, so with some homework I will still be able to fill my personal CFS2 world!Cheers,Giorgio