Sign in to follow this  
Guest stentor

Uploading loads of Mesh!

Guest Outer Marker

Recently I have been reading all the posts and counter-posts relating to Mr. Gainer's freeware mesh files. In this post I want to share some lessons I learned when I first played with the idea of releasing large areas of mesh using SRTM data.My first project was small... 4 tiles of SRTM data centered around KCHO where I live. I was so pleased with myself, that I immidiately began downloading all the SRTM data I could get my hands on. Unfortunately, or fortunately whichever way you look at it, TMFViewer showed me all the voids and errors in the SRTM data I was using. I'm not an expert, and I don't know how to use DEM data of a different type to patch the voids. So I'm limited as to the quality of the mesh I can produce.What I found vastly more rewarding is to make SUPERB mesh scenery of the places I fly to most, and really examine the files for accuracy. Then, if I think it's good enough, I release it. My point is that using smaller amounts of SRTM data allows you to be really picky and accurate about your mesh.Quality over quantity... that's the way to do it. I'll leave large areas of the world to the experts!Thanks to Holger and all the other experts in this forum who helped me with my first mesh project. I'm a sounds and FDE developer usually, so mesh design was all very new to me.Sincerely,Outer Marker (Bryan Betts)Get my files here: http://library.avsim.net/search.php?Search...=Root&Go=Search

Guest stentor

Bryan:The quantity of material(tiles) you process each timedepends of your machine, the amount of memory andprogram characteristics.Of course, depending the procedure you use, less material,less mistakes.Anyway, at this case in particular, quantity doesn'taffect quality.I use, sometimes, to process a hundred or more SRTM filesthe same time. The SDK tools can do it.If you wish discuss the subject, contact me.RegardsCelso Junior