Sign in to follow this  

Abacus Warbirds Extreme = TOTAL RIPOFF imho...

Just a fair warning and an example of why it's hilarious that anyone would criticize FSD...I paid $30 for this piece of crap that lies all over the box about being an FS2002 addon. Actually, it's not. It's a repackage of some crappy panels that belong in Fs98. Is this opinion? No. We all know that certain values were reassigned in fs2002. This is why in Warbirds Extreme, buttons like "Smoke" and "Avionics" do not work whatsoever.Sure, the visual models are nice and the Flight Dynamics are occasionally excellent, but...In the F15, the above mentioned switches don't work, the view from the VC shows part of a wing, a bit of rudder, lots of blank space in between. The panel has no VSI, the displays blink and are unreadable except in 800X600. There is an autopilot but no way to set altitute, vertical speed, course, heading ...The B2 panel is a joke. The panel artwork absolutely pathetic and the gauges are just Lear45 gauges. In CFS2 there is no damage showing on the planes...the AP in the B2 is completely unreadable, as is many of the gauges in many of these planes.Almost every gauge was available for FS98. I can prove this, because I actually have that stupid fake radar and the military style analogue gauges in my fs98 folder on my old computer...No engine switches on some planes, no simicons, you need to use the menu system to pull up the GPS...I can't begin to list all of the ways this is the biggest ripoff of my life.I have yet to download a SINGLE freeware plane for FS2002 that is as lacking in quality as this payware package.So if you're nostalgic for FS98 style panels/gauges and those old crappy VC type views where you only see part of a wing or part of the empenage ... go buy this absolutley unashamed lying software that sells itself as an addon for FS2002.Please note since I first began visiting forums in FS98 days, I have never in my life written a post critical of anything.I'm a patient man....but from now on I will save my money for quality efforts that do not lie in an attempt to sucker me in.If this #### is worth $30, than the FSD Cheyenne should have cost me $1000michael

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I couldn't agree more. Yet another example to shatter this perpetrated myth that payware is automatically superior in quality to freeware just because it has a price tag. And the other part of the myth, that payware is the standard by which freeware should be judged. One of the reasons I started tinkering with aircraft design a couple of years ago was that I was tired of spending money on so called "high quality" payware that I didn't even consider worth installing on my PC.Mike Stone

Quote from the Abacus web site:[blockquote]We're interested in having you as a satisfied customer for years into the future.[/p]This is why for the past 22 years we've extended a money-back guarantee to all of our customers.[/p]If for any reason you're not satisfied with one of our software products or books , you can return it to us within 30 days of purchase for a full refund (exclusive of postage charges).[/p][/blockquote]Time to take them up on that, I guess?

I'll take them up on that, seeing as RadioShack won't take back opened software....and as an aside, I in no way am assuming or indicating that other Abacus products are crap, just that Warbirds is crap. michael