Sign in to follow this  

Installation Problem!

Maybe someone can spot a problem here for me. Thanks.I had MSFS2002 on but the scenery was giving errors. Poor or non existant terrain pieces. Error messages said: Non existent terrain directory. Some such. I scrubbed the install. Started over. Now I can't get the program to install. I get a lot of early aborts, at from 1 percent, to 7 percent, to 29 percent to 59, and on up. It just won't install. I see during installation attempts that some of the small windows with MSFS blurbs are not readable. The text is fuzzy or lined out with fuzzy lines. This is evidently one problem? What?System is this one:AMD T-Bird 900 Socket "A" CPUFIC AZ-11 VIA Mainboard4.37 VIA 4 in 1 Driver.384 MB Memory, 80 GB ATA 100 Maxtor Hard Drive but on old controller.Did not install the promise card. Did not know about the need fora ATA 100 Driver intime. So put it on old controller.Matrox Millennium G400 AGP Video with 4.12.01.2120 driver.SB Live Value Sound Card.USB CH Pro Pedals and CH Pilot YokeDSL Internet ConnectionLAN with Windows IPX/SPX with more than one PC.Windows 98 SE No Service Packs? Is there any?MSFS2002 bought in Jan, 2002.I run Office XP, Adobe Acrobat, a lot more on this PC. Most not reinstalled on new hard drive yet.If any one can help please let me know. I don't know where to turn. I can't take the CDs back to exchange. Had them since Jan. I can get copies of others from sources if they are copyable? Are they? I have not tried with my burner. I have cleaned the CDs with alcohol. Did not fix this problem. I did have the sim almost on here, and it ran pretty well just two days ago but for this scenery problem. Now I can 't get it on at all.Lowell WileyAeromachinespcpals@qx.net

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

First, scan your system for a virus. Directories don't corrupt themselves (although an erroneous CMOS setting related to the new drive might).Second, kill all apps and applets...you should only see the volume control icon in the system tray if you've done this correctly. This means turning off all virus scanners (after step following step one above), etc...Make sure DMA is enabled on your HD.... As for your CD-ROM, if DMA is disabled, enable it. If it is enabled, disable it. See if that makes a difference.If worse comes to worse, I have manual installation instructions that are posted on the tips page. They allow for a full install by manually extracting the files needed for FS2002. They are fairly involved, however.John

Your Matrix G400 AGP Video Card may be the problem. According to the Readme.rtf doc that came with FS2K2, this card causes problems as follows: Matrox Marvel G-400, retail and latest drivers, Windows 98SE: Turning Antialiasing on in the Display Settings dialog box may cause texture corruption. Also in this configuration, there is some visible flickering on the windshield and doors of the Cessna 182S and the Boeing 777.Make sure you have the latest driver.

John: Thanks. I have now manged to get loaded up. I had to put it on the D: drive. I had some Windows files missing, about six. Got them back in. Then my AntiVirus was partly missing too. Got that reloaded. Then one more failure on C: at 38%, so I switched to D:,my old, small 15GB drive and it loaded. It says it went on with the full scenery set, but still going some error messages: Non Existant directory when it needs to switch ground tiles I guess. It shows it is looking for a directory, but the name of he directory is garbage. Like one might expect in a virus. it is "P," and a "Y," but the "Y" has a double dash strike over on it, then a "dash," and finally a a Spanish type question mark. Backwards, with a descendser. All that in one location instead of the needed directory being searched for. At least I am running. I would like to get the manual install instructions please. I may need them later. Thanks. Lowell Wiley

Firehawk44: Thanks. I have the G400 but this one is called the Millennium,not Marvel. But I'll try to turn Antialiasing off to see if that helps. I took the Cessna Caravan down to St. Thomas and the outside graphics,or terrain and water was a big mess. Panel was fine. Came back to Little Rock AFB and things were fine. Well I am up and running now. We'll see what happens next. Thanks for your help.Lowell WileyAeromachinespcpals@qx.net

Hi !I find a temporary solution.Open the world.cab file from CD3 with Winzip.Extract it at the correct location.I think there is a FS2000scenedbworld directory.But it is incomplete and the textures directory may be missing.I had the same problem with all windows versions.It now works.Longbow