Sign in to follow this  

Thoughts on increasing runway usage

Hi,Had a daft thought today. If equal runway lengths make FS2002 use both runways what would happen if you took a runway, made an exact dupicate but with addition taxiways to the hold from the hold short points and placed it over the first. Would AI treat this as an extra runway and increase the useage?I was playing around with curcuit traffic at Mildenhall and getting only one aircraft flying around while 5 others sat on the hold and waited for first to clear the runway. I added a dupicate runway as above and got two. They were given separation by the tower so were never on the runway at the same time and the second overshoot when the first had not cleared after landing.Will if able try with other airfields but if anyone wants to try as well we can see if that can become a useful idea or not.Rgds Ron

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Again,Forget this, second try and it went back to single aircraft operation. :-fume :-fume The only way I got more than one aircraft airbourne at any one time was to have them go IFR (as Mildenhall has a ILS).So its back to the drawing board. ;(8Rgds Ron

What you have in mind can be done by creating a second runway next to the first by:Making the original runway very narrow and next to the scenery's centerline.Creating the second narrow runway next to it, calling it L/R/C. You must duplicate the ILS navaids and (very carefully) connect the taxiways to it. Make it longer and close it to make the new runway the landing runway.I've done it successfully. Can't tell that the little AI fellas are left and right of the centerline. ATC will clear a/c to land on "xx Center", and keep the emergency equipment and local hospitals standing by for the inevitable collision.

>You must duplicate the ILS navaids and (very >carefully) connect the taxiways to it. Make it longer and >close it to make the new runway the landing runway. It's not necessary (or even desirable) to duplicate the 'navaids,' since they're only present in this .bgl for map purposes...The "real" navaids used by all a/c are contained in a totally separate .bgl file entirely.This is specifically mentioned in Lee's extensive documentation (that few people seem to have read, judging by the number of times I've seen such errors of fact. :)