Sign in to follow this  

Minimum Layover Period for AI Flights

Is there a minimum required layover period (time between arrival and departure on next leg) I am working on a VB program that automatically downloads weekly airline schedules from the DOT database and creates weekly flights plans. Most of the airlines that I have tested have worked OK except for Southwest. Since Southwest operates many more flights per day than most airlines, the layover period is shorter. The aircraft are at the gates, but most of them never move. TTtools does not force a minimum layover period, but I noticed that the Microsoft traffic tool does (45 minutes)Any comments?-DN

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

As far as I know, AI Traffic does not have such a requirement.What is important is that the aircraft is at the Gate when its next departure time comes. Since the incoming aircraft can be delayed due to go arounds or a far away runway being used because of winds etc., I think that you should allow a minimum of 20 minutes between arrival time and next departure time, to be safe.Stamatis

HiI think the 20 minutes are too short, because as far as I know the 'arrival time' with Ttools 1.2 means the time that the aircraft arrives in the vicinity of the airport, so it has to land (maybe with a go-around) and taxi to the gates within this period which is not enough on bigger airports with much traffic and long taxiing. I think Ttools 1.3 has the possibilty of fixed arrival times (@) and there it means the time the plane arrives at the gate. Then 20 minutes should be okay.I always use a minimum of at least 30 minutes (this is also the default setting in AITM), so I do not get an "error" in AITM, and even these 30 minutes can be short on bigger airports with lots of traffic.WalterPAI Beta Tester

I think longer is better for the most part, but not necessarily more realistic for some Airlines.I am quality checking a flight plan I made for Northwest from 1946. Many of their stops were only 10 minutes! I changed the turn times to a minimum of 15 minutes. So far, I haven't seen any planes that didn't make it. HOWEVER, I didn