Sign in to follow this  
Guest Kingair315

Flight school AI traffic

I'm trying to simulate the traffic at my flight school. I'm wondering how much of it is possible to do in FS2004 and what is not.The flights include: (note that when I say "land" I mean land, taxi to parking and shut down)1) Circuit/pattern training (depending on where you're from! :-)) at the home field (airport A)2) Local flights, i.e. take off from A, fly into uncontrolled airspace, do some exercises, fly back and land at A3) Take off from A, fly to B, land, take off again and fly back to A4) Take off from A, fly to B, do one touch and go, fly back to A5) Take off from A, fly to B, do one or two touch and goes, land, take off and fly back to A.6) Take off from A, fly to B, do one touch and go or low approach, continue to C, land there, and then fly back.I know that 1, 3, and 4 can be simulated, but what about the others?Specifically, is it possible to have an aircraft take off, fly away from the airport, and come back an hour later? And is it possible to just execute an approach to an airport, go around and then fly to another airport? And finally, is it possible to do one or several touch and goes at one airport and not land at the same airport, but just fly to another airport?Thanks in advance, hope it wasn't too confusing! ;-)Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Hi Martin,the key for all you wishes is the arrival and departure time. To do some TG's and fly away without landing, you must set a departure time that is in the arrival time frame of the plane. If FS9 detect that the plane is in the air it will direct it to the new airport. A little problematic is to get the times right. Also if you start at a time which is between departue and arrival of the TG airport, FS9 will set the plane on ground and start the flightplan from there.Hope this help.PS: Do you know 'GA-Traffic'? It will give you some very realistic traffic for your homeairport without doing it by yourself.

Thanks Markus,It sounds a little tricky, but I'll try experimenting with the arrival/departure times. If it doesn't work, I still have enough of airports where full stop landings are done.I use GA-Traffic for my "general" GA traffic. :-) But simulating my flight school traffic is more like creating an airline schedule: The planes have their own livery and they don't fly all over the world, just to maybe ten airports, so GA-Traffic doesn't work for that. By the way, here is the airport: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...inct_entry=trueAnd here is the flight school: http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.sear...inct_entry=trueI guess this belongs in "your" forum, but I'll post it here:I do think that GA-Traffic is a great program, and it's really made the skies a lot more interesting! :-)I've been working with it a lot the last few weeks and I do see some room for improvement. I've noticed that the planes fly their weekly schedule like this: A-B-A-C-A-D-A-E-A-F, i.e. it flies from its home airport (A) to another airport (:(, then back to A, then to a new airport ©, then back to A, and so on. This might be realistic for some types of GA traffic, like business jets, but most of the time it's a little odd. What would be great is if the "private" traffic would mostly do short hops, maybe to the little grass field "next door", and some longer domestic hops (maybe to a larger airport "next door", then to one or two other airports, and then back home). Sometimes the private traffic would also go on longer "tours", say, a German pilot flying via Denmark to Sweden and Norway. I understand that if I reduce the max flight time for private flights, they will keep close to home, but in that case it wouldn't be possible to do any longer tour.I'm looking forward to MA-Traffic as well, just wish there would be more Swedish military AI aircraft...Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

Hi Martin,yore right that all 'GA-Traffic' goes A -> B -> A. I orginal planed to make trips over several ports and much more, but found out that you wouldn't see the difference. Normaly you didn't follow a AI plane, so you see it taking of at the same field you are and it comes back to the field if you doesen't move. You didn't know where the plane was gone. If you takeoff after the AI plane and fly to a roundtrip, you will not met the particular plane. You only could 'hear' that the plane is bouncing between its home airport and airports around, there is no individula sign on every GA plane (in the FS9 world) so I think for the feel of 'realworld' GA-Traffic it is ok to use the simplified way I do. You should alway remember that the traffic isn't build on real world schedules, which wouldn't be possible, because it repeats weekly.One of the problems with 'MA-Traffic' will be that the military use special markings for there planes and other special features which will make MA-Traffic much less believable than GA-Traffic is. Currently I think about to stop the development on MA-Traffic.

You're right that maybe the actual routes of the GA Traffic isn't very noticeable. I was checking some AFCAD files I had made at small grass fields, so I had to look through the flight plan file to see when the planes would come. I probably wouldn't have thought about it much if I were just flying around. However, you do hear the traffic on the radio, and it's a little odd hearing them to such strange destinations...>One of the problems with 'MA-Traffic' will be that the>military use special markings for there planes and other>special features which will make MA-Traffic much less>believable than GA-Traffic is. Currently I think about to stop>the development on MA-Traffic.I don't think markings, if you mean numbers painted on the aicraft, is a very big deal. It doesn't look good if you have 15 F-16s parked next to each other and they all have the same tail number, but if you have AI F-16s without any tail numbers painted it won't be much of a problem. Not exactly sure that was what you meant though (?).The difficulties of creating military traffic include the lack of good military aircraft suitable for AI use (low polygon etc), the lack of good AFCAD files for air bases, unless someone makes them, and also that, similar to the flight school traffic, many military flights depart and arrive at the same airport, which isn't possible for AI traffic in FS2004. But this has all been discussed in your forum, so I won't go over it any more here. Probably the only way to have good military traffic is to make flight plans by hand, which obviously can't be done for the whole world.Martin767 fetishistIt's a lot like life and that's what's appealing

What you might consider for your Flight School, is to take an existing AI flight plan for a specific field. Think there is one for something like KBFI... Rename it to Flightplan-school.txt ... Then modify it, by changing the destination fields to what would be realistic for flight schools... IE TNG, flights to nearby fields, others representing Cross country, etc..You's just rename aircraft.txt file to the aircraft-school.txt for the School. Switch existing aircraft names to those for the school, delete inappropriate, etc... Copy airport.txt to airport-school.txtThen compile.You can have any number of flightplans, with as few or as many as you desire.