Sign in to follow this  
Guest flightsimstudios

AI Developers Question - Concept Possible?

I've been developing freeware stuff for FS since the days of FS4.0 and I've been working on a retro AI flight schedule...It led me to a couple of thoughts and I'm wondering if anyone has investigated attempting this yet....Is it possible to code a traffic.bgl file in a similar way that we can code scenery objects so that the objects only display when a certain day,date,year or range of dates are met?One example is the Fireworks in Las Vegas, it is coded only to display at a certain time of year.I'm wondering, following this logic, can we do the same thing with the AI traffic BGL header and make it so that traffic.bgl flightplans are only loaded when the dates are set to a certain date...Here's the main idea I'm driving at... I've got a 1973 timetable for Ansett Australia and will be compiling the file for a retro AI package... If it were possible to date lock the BGL traffic, then we could have multiple AI traffic packages built around schedule sets...i.e. Winter 1993 aircraft and flight plans are loaded when the FS date is set to winter 1993... But if you change the date to Summer 2005, the summer 2005 schedule and aircraft (coded of course in the BGL's) are called and displayed...I would be somewhat surprised if it were not possible to code the AI files in this way, but I'm not sure if anyone has attempted this feat yet...If we can do this or if we can see about getting the next version of FS to incorporate dating the traffic.bgl's that would be something phenominal... It would require a system to keep track of different era aircraft paint schemes and fleets on our end but it would be so cool to backtrack to a different era for different AI experiences...What would be cool is that as time goes by for example the MRAI flight plans could be produced with the dates already set for the data, so when the next dataset comes out for the next season, you just drop it in to the FS folder without having to clean out the older dataset... Say you're in the mood to head back in time, no problem, change the date in the sim and you can go back to see the old scheduled services and paint schemes...

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

it sounds cool but I'm not sure where or how it would be done.