Sign in to follow this  
Guest nick46

RAF LIGHTNING AI Traffic

Using afcad2 and TTools I managed to fill LCRA Akrotiri AB in Cyprus with RAF aircraft, some dedicated AI, others NOT AI, like the Kazunori Ito Lightning (and repaints of that). I also threw in a Gannet AEW3 and a Westland Wyvern to give the airbase a Fleet Air Arm presence.I flew a 74 Tiger sqn F1A Lightning from Akrotiri to Beirut Intl (OLBA: BEIRUT INTL) in 20 minutes with a plan from VOR to VOR, and overflew a USN Carrier at the first VOR, which was named VCVN--a suprise as I had forgotten I had placed that carrier there some time.This was a distance of 185 miles, which turns out an average speed of 504 miles for the Lightning--true to fact. The Lightning could do almost 2 Mach and was often seen leaving F-14's standing at airshows and in exercies in its final years.The Lightning being a very fast aicraft, the flight was short. I also tried going into a vertical climb after take off and was at 22,000 feet in under a minute--true to fact, as I have often seen Lightnings climbing that fast in air shows in England.I also tried converting an old Mike Hill FS98 Lightning into AI, but it would not show. Has anyone managed to convert fs98 a/c to fs9 AI?It was hard work for 2 days (with all the tweaks, and the fact that I added a 2nd runway to Akrotiri), but the fun is great now.A drop in frame rates came with that, but it was good learning practice for me.See attached picture--I flew the a/c nearest for the screenshot, and a 74 Tiger sqn one to Beirut( a/c further).The furthest 2 are parked through the "one dayone flightweekly" trick in the TTools flight plan.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/151507.jpg

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!