Sign in to follow this  

frame rate hit post TS2.1 scenery in Fly!2K

Hi all. I just used ts2.1 with base fly!II textures to make some new scenery for a 60x110 nm (approx) area in Fly!2K -and i can't seem to fly it without a massive frame rate reduction - especially when level flying (like, if I fly nose down the frame rate is excellent, even if I am still high enough to be looking at 20 miles or so of terrain). I've tried rendering/slicing it twice - once with the 'one image per globe tile' option checked, expecting that smaller pieces would make it run better but, nope.And I get a really bad aliasing effect - it's always been pretty bad, say when looking at runways in the distance, but now all of the terrain from middle-distance out gets this massive shimmer.I've got some trial and error ahead of me - but does anyone have any tips for which settings to go after first, especially with a view to bringing the frame rate up? The whole purpose is to simulate VFR flight, so I can't drop the resolution/visibility/quality too much... Also - currently on a Athlon1.0GHz, 512mb, GeForce2-64mb setup. Later today I'm going to migrate it over to a 1.4, 512 DDR (266), GeForce3-64 setup -which is a marginally better box in several respects - should I expect a serious impact of the extra speed and newer card? I guess I'm sceptical because there's nothing especially WRONG with the old box (512000000 k ought to be enough for anyone, as Bill Gates might say), and it still looks like crap.BillyI Wish My Shoes Had a Slew Key

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

Dunno bout Fly2K much. Errrr maybe I didnt read your post correctly. But I think I did. If Fly2k is anything as demanding on a system like FlyII is. Then one solution comes to mind when running Fly2K. I for one and many others including R.Harvey along with most of the guru techies. 1. For starters unless you need any other programs running in the background while in the flight sim is in use, then shut them all down. Example... Internet Explorer, Netscape Explorer, Outlook Express or email program of choice. Basically anything that loads up from the boot process, shut it down. Im sure there will be an arguement to this point of view. But no one single person's system is exactly the same as anothers. Unless they bought them from the same vendor and were built exactly the same. So some will perform quite well with a slew of programs running at the same time, and others will not. If I know that all I am going to be doing for a couple of hours then I shut down all un-neccesary programs and components and have hours of endless flight time without the stutters and hiccups. Versus trying to do so with several programs running in the background. Just my 2 cents worth. :)TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.30Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 28.32ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ AUDIO/ATX MB, DDR 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB 4X-AGP