Sign in to follow this  

What's the deal?

Hey, I jsut want to know if Fly!II aircraft designed in 3D Studio Max 4 are restricted to one texture or if they can have more that one texture? If it can only handle one texture I have to say that sucks..LOL...if not how do I implement the second/third/fourth texture?

By design we force 1 texture; though it can be anywhere from 64x64 to 1024x1024. You can "cram" multiple textures into one texture if you like. The reason for this is most video cards (particularly at the time Fly! II was being written) force a huge penalty when the graphics card has to make a texture context switch when rendering polygons. For example, a 5000 poly model with 1 texture (even using many multiples of "crammed" coordinates inside a single texture) will render anywhere from 4x-20x faster than a multiple texture version. This is the reason for the restriction, for rendering performance. Remember, a 1024x1024 texture is the equivalent of 16 256x256 textures, which gives you ALOT of working area.Rich

Hey, OK That's fair enough, and thanks for the explanation, you would never get this sorta info about FS2K2 direct from the developer..I like this..cheers m8