Sign in to follow this  
Guest artl

Weather

Hi, Can anyone answer a few questions for me regarding weather?Firstly, If someone is flying from say KJFK to KDEN in a piper navajo (which would take about 8 hours) how would the pilot know what the winds were? Is their an ATCC he can tune in to to get the winds for his region? I assume that you cannot do this in FLY2.a) Can you download real world weather into fly2?:( If not is their a random weather generator?c) If still not, what would the winds be like at 24000ft from KJFK to KDEN, what are the typical values?Thanks for any help!Ric

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I can't address how some of this is done in the real world.In Fly2 I'd say the best way to monitor winds depends upon whether you are using winds aloft or not. If not, monitoring nearby ATIS broadcasts during your flight is a fairly good way to do so. But if you are using winds aloft there is no report for them, and they won't change during your flight anyway, so then the best way is to make a note of the winds at various altitudes during your preflight prep.You can download real world weather (albeit not real world winds aloft) into Fly2 in a couple of ways. One is via the Fly2 multiplayer server (if it is still working ... I don't use it, so I don't know). Another is to find and download NOAA format METAR cycle files from the Internet and then import them into Fly2. A slightly easier way to do this is to use my InfoMETAR utility, which will get current METARs for you automatically ... it is freeware and can be found in the "Fly! utilities" section (note: Fly!, not Fly2) in the File Library here at AvSim.There is no random weather generator in Fly2, but there is such a feature in InfoMETAR if you are inclined to try it.I'm inclined to say that the average winds at 24000 feet across the latitudes of North America will often be on the order of 25-50 knots out of the west (or some direction close to that). For example, today the winds aloft at 24K at JFK are from direction 310 at 39 knots.- David Sandberg[br][br]infomsig.jpg

Upper winds (also called Winds aloft) are available as forecasts by area. A pilot would normally obtain those forecasts before departure:For Canada, they are online at:(excuse the long mult-line url... you may have to copy and paste)http://www.flightplanning.navcanada.ca/cgi...xt&TypeDoc=htmlFor USA, at:http://aviationweather.noaa.gov/awc/awc-fd.htmlThat other simulator with the $ signs downloads upper winds as part of the real-weather package. If you cannot import the forecastsand still want to set up a realisticscenario, you could go to these sites directly and copy values.Art.