Sign in to follow this  
Guest Javier

FS-IMPORT

Guest Javier

It is finally out!! the wait is over! There is a utility on the AVSIM library to convert MSFS scenery into FLY II scenery!! I installed the application and I am searching all my HDs for the BGLZIP.EXE file ( a utility to uncompress BGL MSFS scenery files ) in order to start converting the sceneries I have for MSFS 2000 into FLYII sceneries.Finally I will be able to use 3D buildings ( almost photo real ) for my Mexican Airports! THANK YOU PADRAIC MORGAN! I haven't converted yet any scenery, but reading the README.TXT file looks that works very well. We will see..Regards.Javier.

Guest Javier

I just finished testing my piece of imported scenery! It WORKS!!! it has some details, some taxiways are missplaced and some objects are in the middle of the runway ( just 2 objects ) but guess what??If you press CTRL-E you can edit the scenery, simply move or delete the object and... ta ra! every imported object works like an object under FLY, you can move it, rotate it, or delete.I tested an old MMMX scenery, I bet there is a better version maybe even with the correct placement of Taxiways, something actual for FS 2002. Overall the tool works great!If you are trying it just remember that if you already created a scenery ( using the regular Scenery Editor from FLY ) you must move the corresponding folder out from the DATA folder under FLY! otherwise it might cause problems with the imported scenery.FPS was not a problem, I will try to post some screenshots here.Regards.Javier

Guest tonyc

this is simply incredible! Thank you Padraic. FLY2 will turn out to be not only a source of great fun but,more importantly, inspiration .tony

Guest tonyc

Javier, if you have achance could please tell me how , step by step, you did it. Use an actual airport or add on so that I can follow your directions. thanks.tony

Padraic -I agree this is a truly amazing creation!Here's 'Hawarden'-John Walker's 'Hawardenrw2k2.zip'-looking really great in Fly!DaveT

Guest ben_

How incredible is this :-) ?Thanks for the images Javier.Thanks Padraic.Ben

Guest Bjorn

I have tried it out as well and it is just amazing !!! :-)I have converted small swedish airports and they just lookexcellent!!There is some small problem with bigger airports however, but itmight be possible to solve when I have tried it a bit more. On ESSAfor instance, one of the runways just disappeared :-lolWhat a great work it is - thanks !!Bj

Tried to do LEBL (El Prat)'Barcelona Airport Photorealistic scenery for FS2002' by Richard Alvarez.FSI seemed to be importing it (lots of DOS boxes flahing by) but alas it wasn't there. Had checked that I 'had an LEBL' in Fly!2 first and only got the same runways and taxiways after.I'll keep trying to 'find it's limits'-wow a 'cross platform import tool'!DaveT

Padraic,I see it will only work if an airfield exists in Fly! already, so is it reading the 'airport.pod' or a combination of others (ie 'runway.pod'etc)? I assume I therefore need to produce 'airport'and 'runway' database listings in Fly! for it to match (does it match the positional location?).I want to import from FS2002 EGLD Booker, which doesn't exist in Fly!So I'll put it into the databases and then try.I can't get over this!

Guest Hagar

How is it with the copyright? Is it no problem as long as the source scenery is freeware?When converted, do I get bin or SMF models?I really hope I can use this, then I don`t have to make all those hard to make and time-consuming custom models for my airports...its just too much work for one guy...

Guest Fly II Pilot

... and you want to run BGLINSTALL.exe (the BGLZIP installer) on your PC, it will look for the path where FS2000 is installed. If you don't have MSFS installed, it won't work.I created a folder called FS2000 under C:PROGRAM FILES and that's where I'm putting all the sceneries and BGLZIP.EXE.So, for BGLINSTALL.exe to work, you need to create an entry in the Windows Registry.To do so, go to START, RUN and there type REGEDIT (and press ENTER).It will open the Registry Editor window.(To make it easier to navigate, if on the left hand pane there are any expanded folders, minimze them so you just see the main ones.)- Expand the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE key (in the window registry, what look like folders are called KEYs).- Expand the SOFTWARE key- Search for the MICROSOFT key and RIGHT-click on it.- Select "New >" and then "Key"- Type Microsoft Games in that KEY as if you were naming a folder- Right-click on the KEY that you just created in the previous step.- Select "New >" and then "Key"- Type Flight Simulator in that KEY as if you were naming a folder- Right-click on the KEY that you just created in the previous step.- Select "New >" and then "Key"- Type 7.0 in that KEY as if you were naming a folder- Right-click on the KEY that you just created in the previous step.- Select "New >" and then "String Value"- Type path in the value as if you were naming a file- Double-click on the "path" entry that you just created- Type the path where you want BGLZIP installed to, in my case it is C:PROGRAM FILESFS2000Now run BGLINSTALL.exe and it should work fine.I read the Microsoft License Agreement and it doesn't say anything about HAVING to own Flight Simulator or anything else. It's a standard EULA agreement.Hope this helps.Regards,Alejandro AmigorenaCheshire, CTAthlon XP 1800ABIT KR7A-RAID768Mb RAMGeForce 3 64MBSB Audigy GamerCH Flight Yoke USBCH Pro Pedals USB

Guest Hagar

Thanks for the tip! The Registry is always nice to have :)

I got BGLzip.exe by downloading the FS2000 (not 2k2) 'scenery.sdk' then just copied bglzip.exe over.Here's 'Duxford'-great scenery, it's the premier 'warbirds centre' in the UK with the USAF museum building on the left.However I noticed durung the import some 'raw 'files couldn't be found'. The scenery is great from the air but as you get closer to some buildings disappear and a few signs are 'hanging in the air'. Won't stop me!Wish this great tool could do terrain meshes as well, that's a area FS is good at.DaveT