Sign in to follow this  

Help! Graphics Editor needed

Good day!My sister would like to take a stab at creating some new paint schemes but the current graphics editors I have will not work with the images in the textures folder. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

If you look in your FS2002 Folders in the following folder:Ex: c:gamesFS2002gmaxFlightsimgamepacksYou will find a utility called imagetool.exe which is what you need to work with and convert to and from the DXT3 file formats which is what Flightsim uses which includes mipmaps and alpha maps.I would recommend you open the airplane texture you want to work on with this tool then under the File Menu, Save As a .TGA file.Almost every graphics program can open that. Once you make your new file, open it back up in imagetool and format it to DXT3 under the Image/Format menus. then you can save it as such and get your new textures. OF COURSE you would be wise to search the msfs design message board on creating reflective alpha channels.Basically If you take a mask of your texture and create an all black alpha channel, your whole model will be completely reflective silver. If you make your mask completely WHITE then your model will be a matte finish. If you want some sheen to your model, make a light GREY mask where you want your texture to shine.There is more help for you in the scenery and aircraft design forum. But DXT3 format is the answer on why you can't work directly with aircraft textures and need to use a tool such as imagetool first.Hope I helped instead of confused you any more! :-waveCarmine "The Big Ragu" :-cool

Thanks Carmine.What you have explained makes sense to me, now if i can just explain it to my sister. ;-)

Downloading it now. She's bugging me to get out of the way so she can play.Thanks again guys!