Sign in to follow this  

Stars in Night Sky?

Guest product

I'm new to Fly2, and was under the impression that the night sky was supposed to feature stars, even constellations tuned to your location and date. Mine is pitch black, save for the moon. Is there a setting for stars that I'm missing? I use the "skyfire" sky color modification, but I don't imagins that should effect this issue.Any help would be appreciated, thanks!Best,Joel

Joel, I could be wrong about this. I think this would depend on your video card that you have. Attached is a screen capture. I'm not sure if it will show up or not. But Orion is in the background. What type and how many meg is you card?TonyWhy Oh .... Why cant I ????FlyII! ver. 2.40Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 41.09ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ATX MB, DDR SRAM 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB AGP

Guest product

Hi Tony,I've got a rocking card (for the Mac, at least)- Invidia Geforce4 ti has 128mb, so it's not a memory issue... I run at high textures, etc. no problem.That's a beautiful pic, I want those stars!Best,Joel

Hi Joel, Hmmmmmmm. Ok the card sure as heck isnt the issue. Sorry I didnt get back sooner. I was watching NFL playoffs, Steelers vs Browns.Next question would be this. What version of FlyII? Have you applied any updates? Patches or is this straight out of the box? I'm not really sure at what stage or version was released. I do know since the release to the public that there were several patches and upgrades released. When you boot up FlyII it will tell you what version you running. Also I'm running PC version, so I dont know for sure about differences between the two. Dont let this get you down. FlyII is a awesome Flight Sim. Once all the bugs are worked out. It was released some what early. But the support team here on the forum will help you get it flying smooth and with all the stars you want. :)TonyFlyII! ver. 2.40Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 41.09ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ATX MB, DDR SRAM 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB AGP

Guest product

Hi Tony,It's the latest, fesh out of the box with the latest patch to bring it current. Actuallt runs very stable so far... only little bug I've got so far (aside from stars) is a sound issue where the sound occasionally gets "stuck", but muting/unmutung seems to solve it.Is it possible that a sky color mod like "Skyfire" could interfere with the stars? Joel

Joel, I just looked over the ini file for Skies. I dont see how it would have any effect on displaying stars. Skyfire is just a color enhancer for daytime skies. If you made a backup of the original skies.ini. Then try using it and see what happens. Sorry for the delay again. 49er's & Giants going at it at Candlestick stadium. :)In the meantime I will do a search in the Mac forums. Maybe something there will shed some light on this. TonyFlyII! ver. 2.40Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 41.09ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ATX MB, DDR SRAM 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB AGP

Guest product

Yeah, I looked as well and can't see an issue there. I also tried to locate where the star-related files are, to see if maybe stars are set to "0" or something in the fly.ini, but coudn't locate the relevant line.Thanks for all your efforts, I really appreciate the help. Enjoy those games first, though!Joel

Joel Hi Again, Ok I did some digging into the old forums. I found a couple of references that may be of some help to you. One in particular that Richard Harvey explains some of the settings for certain cards. This may be just a setting on your card that I'm not aware of. Take a look at these 2 posts and see if anything makes sense to you. I hope this helps out. http://www.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID4/17045.htmlhttp://www.avsim.com/dcforum/DCForumID4/17015.htmlTonyFlyII! ver. 2.40Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 41.09ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ATX MB, DDR SRAM 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB AGP

Guest product

Thanks Tony, I didn't catch these in my search. I'll check them out after work and see if they help.Joel

Guest product

I also think I'm going to do a clean re-install of Fly2 tonight... I don't think I'm getting the full performance of my video card, and in reading over the manual last night it says that you should have your card installed before you install Fly2. I upgraded the card after installation, so I'm hoping I'll see better FPS if I do that, maybe it will even fix the stars issue?Joel

Guest Colins2

Joel,You shouldn't need to re-install Fly!2.Just access the graphics setup window on start-up and make sure that the correct options are set. Fly!2 comes with 3 dlls for the display and will use the one that matches your chosen card.Since getting Fly!2 (as soon as I could get my hands on it after release day) I have changed computers, hard drives, videocards, in fact just about everything, all without once re-installing!Fly! runs out of the box for most people. These are on 'average' factory settings. To get better performance the patches need to be applied and some suitable tweaking of the render.ini to suit your individual setup.I still run Fly! on 2 different computers, but not at the same time, of course. I have Fly! installed on a pluggable HD which I swap from one to the other. One has a 128mb GF3 and the other a 32mb gf2mx.I don't actually change any settings, Fly does it automatically.I will say, however, that I do not have a highly tweaked render.ini either, mine is pretty much stock.Obviously the performance is much better on the 128mb card, but it is also flyable on the other machine too.Colin

Guest product

Well,Even after a clean install no stars. got a reply from a long time Mac flier who has the same problem.... and one of the posts you referred me to Tony also mentions it as a bug that the author hoped might be addressed by a fix. Are there any Mac fliers out there who do see stars at night?Best,Joel

Joel:What Zoom Factor are you using? Try this! Reduce your zoom factor to 1.33 and you should see stars in the night sky!Last evening, while playing around with my unit in an attempt to increase my fps, I changed my zoom factor from 2.5 to 1.33 and their they were. Can someone else verify and confirm this?A big thanks goes out to Marco Antonio Silva for informing me on how to change my zoom factor!!I hope this helps!! I'm always posimg questions in this FORUM and very seldom am I able to offer a possible solution in hopes of helping someone out of a problem. If this works, I will feel like I've contributed something to this great FORUM!!Curtis

Curtis, I take it you are using a Mac? I'm using a Windows PC. When I read this I thought I would try what you suggested. I see stars,no matter what zoom level I choose. This could be a Mac issue. So if your running a Mac then hopefully this will be a solution for Joel. :) Hope it works.To give an idea how realistic it works. I was checking the night time sky out. Out on the horizon was a cresent moon. In the mean time the phone rang. While I was talking I kept an eye on my screen. I sat and watched the moon slowly slip below the horizon. Hmmmm I wonder if someone could add some crickets chirping? :)OK OK I know going a bit to far!!!!!! :-rollTonyFlyII! ver. 2.40Directx 8.1nVidia drivers 41.09ECS K7S5A SOCKETA /DDR/ATX MB, DDR SRAM 128MB PC-2100 266MHZ MEMORY ,AMD ATHLON T-BIRD 1.2GHZ 256K FSB266 PGA , NVIDIA GEFORCE2 MX-400 64MB AGP

Sorry Tony! I'm also using a Windows PC. I got excided when suddenly stars appeared and I thoutht that would help Joel with his problem. I never saw the stars at night while using a zoom factor of 2.5. Oh well, I tried...! :'(Very interesting about the cresent moon.Curtis :+