Sign in to follow this  

Infometar problems

Hello, I am using Infometar with FSbuild and Autoweather in Fly2.The question is when I autogenerate a new route and open Infometar and build and thinning metar, how can I do for this thinning metar are the last downloaded, not random generated.??Greetings

Guest DSandberg

I haven't used FSBuild or Autoweather, so I don't know exactly what they may be doing. But I can tell you that InfoMETAR has "auto" options available to such programs to either generate random weather or download real weather. If InfoMETAR is generating random weather when invoked by FSBuild and Autoweather, rather than downloading real weather, it must be because they are asking it to do so. Do those other programs perhaps have a switch or setting somewhere that allow you to specify if you want to fly with random or real weather?http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif

In the readme of Autoweather writes: "With Autoweather.pyc script file, FSbuild(ver. 1.37 or better ), and Infometar you will be able to use an Infometar Random generated weather or Real Metar file automatically whenever you load a FLY!II adventure flight made and saved with FSbuild"but after writes: "Now file your flight plan with FSbuild. When you press the button "Autogenerate" (make sure the box is checked on "build on AutoGenerate"),the Infometar screen will pop up and start to create random weather for the same Departure and Destination points automatically" , It is posible that the thinning metar file are downloaded in this moment???

Guest DSandberg

I would say most likely not. If InfoMETAR was downloading real world weather, you'd have a little window in the center of the InfoMETAR screen that tells you as much while it is occurring. And it takes a little while, especially if you are on dialup ... it's far from instantaneous, as the program downloads all worldwide weather information, not just the part associated with your current flightplan. Anyway, the term "AutoGenerate" does seem to suggest generating random weather, rather than getting real weather reports.You'll need to contact the authors of Autoweather and/or FSBuild to see how they intended for you to get and use real world weather with their products.[br][br]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif

Guest tonyc

I've been out of the country...Here's how to automatically download weather for the route made with fsbuild. 1. Autoweather Does Not automatically download real weather. It simply automatically loads the generically titled "Infometar.txt" in FLY2 metar folder.2. When you create a flight plan with fsbuild, fsbuild will give you the option to generate a random weather path for that particular flight path. 3.Simply use the Wizard in Infometar and, if you've done everything correctly, the wizard will ask( or already have --I don't remember now) the departure, the destination, and also will ask where the file should be saved and the name. These,of course, should have the path and name such as c:Program FilesTerminal RealityFLY!IIMetarInfometar.txt, or whatever path you have fly2.4. It's at this point that when you close the wizard the program will automatically download real weather and save it as thinned, that is only around the flight path, and save it as a Infometar.txt file in the FL2 metar folder. I am currently beta testing fsbuild beta 2, so I don't have fsbuild 1.39, so I may have made some errors above. Soon, there will be VolNav, which I believe will replace fsbuild. If there are any questions, I'll be around to answer them. Also, read the instruction in Autoweather carefully. It should be clear after a while.tony

Guest DSandberg

So FSBuild just uses the random weather switch when kicking off InfoMETAR? I didn't know that ... good to know.Tony is right, then - once InfoMETAR has been started, regardless of what FSBuild has told it to do by default, you can still then proceed to use InfoMETAR normally until such a point as you close it down, including using the Wizard or the "Download METARs" toolbar button to get real world weather. Just make sure to save it to the appropriate (default) filename before you shut InfoMETAR down.[table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][td width=170 align=center]God wants Richard Harvey to be his copilot.[/td][/tr][/table]

Tony or David:Is it possible for someone to obtain weather files or use InfoMETAR without being connected to the Internet? If so, how is it done. I'm sure there are people out there that would love to know. I was asked by someone who enjoys Fly!2 but does not have access to the internet. I couldn't answer, so now I'm asking the same question. I know of a few other people that are running Fly!2 and don't have the use of the internet. I'm probably asking the question for a lot of people whom, without the internet or access to this Forum, will never get an answer. Curiousity is now getting the best of me!Curtis

Guest DSandberg

I'm not aware of any way to get NOAA-format METARs via direct dialup, much less in a printed format (the information is too time-critical for the latter), unless they perhaps work at a flight service station.I suppose a desperate person could call up ATIS/AWOS information for nearby airports, either on a radio or phone (some airports have a phone line that repeats the ATIS/AWOS broadcast), and then hand-code the proper METARs themselves. But that's a lot of work.On the other hand, if your friend doesn't care if the weather matches the real world or not, InfoMETAR does have the ability to generate random weather, and doesn't have to be connected to the Internet to do so. So if they just want to fly with changing weather conditions, rather than conditions matching what they see outside their window, that might be one approach.[table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][td width=170 align=center]God wants Richard Harvey to be his copilot.[/td][/tr][/table]

Thank you David. Whether he cares or not, he will have to make do with whatever he can get. By the way, what a great program you have created!! Would you mind it if I gave him a copy of your InfoMETAR program for his use? Even though its freeware, I don't want to give him a copy without your permission. Thanks again for such a quick reply.CurtisPS: Richard WILL BE A GREAT COPILOT FOR GOD. GOD NEEDS A LOT OF HELP THESE DAYS AND WHO BETTER TO GIVE THAT HELP THAN RICHARD!!!

Guest DSandberg

Thanks for the nice comments, and for being considerate enough to ask about giving someone a copy of InfoMETAR. You absolutely may give your friend a copy, with my compliments![table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][td width=170 align=center]God wants Richard Harvey to be his copilot.[/td][/tr][/table]

Ok, I understand all and I probe it,Thank you very much at both.Juan M. Garc