Sign in to follow this  

random crashes to desktop

I hate to say it but I am still having big problems with crashing out to the desktop - and they don't seem related to the "file not found" problem.I have a basically bog-standard Fly2 p240 installation, except that I have around 5x6 grid-tiles of Terrascened scenery around WA state and some extra airport pods and 3rd party planes - but no funky DLLs or anything like that. My system is a Athlon XP1900, 392 Mb, GF3/64Mb, Win2K. Normally the system is totally rock solid even running CPU-intensive software and games.The symptoms are that anywhere from 30 seconds to 20 minutes into using Fly, the sound stutters and I crash out to the desktop with no error dialog or message that I can find. It just ups and quits.I've tried making sure all my video and sound drivers are up to date, but I still have crashes. As much as I hate to say this, it is making the game unusable for me, because I cannot complete a single flight without crashing to the desktop :(Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love this sim, but in 5 out of the last 5 flights I've tried (usually 20-100 mile flights), I have crashed out before being able to complete the flight.Any suggestions at all would be wonderful...

Sorry to hear about these problems. You say that the last 5 flights have had problems. Have you ever had flights with no problems? If so then it has to be,I would think some corrupted add on. There is a "read me" file in Fly,I think it is called goto or something like that that has a log of all errors in your flights. Perhaps this can give you a clue to why it keeps on crashing. Hope this helps.Qdog

I had random crashes to desktop with Fly!II because of an installation of Norton Internet Security 2003 and Norton Antivirus 2003. I think I posted my solution in this general forum several months ago. I know one step was to run Norton LiveUpdate and ensure I was getting the latest program updates. I think I also edited a registry entry. Anyway, just thought I'd post this in case you're running any Norton Software. It has to do w/ these software programs interfering with DirectX. If you're running either of these programs, take a look at this post:Fix for Fly!2 Flipping Back to Desktop: Norton SoftwareHope you find the solution. Its worth keeping an eye out for a solution. I know you'd like to get back to Fly!ing.

Thanks for the idea - but alas I can't chalk it up to that, coz I'm not running Norton or any other sort of anti-virus. Just bog-standard Win2K, nothing exotic or unusual. Maybe I'll re-update my DX just for grins.It's times like these that I wish I could break out a debugger and have at it, but no such luck :)

Well I _might_ have discovered something. If I run Fly in DX 8.0 T&L mode, I get crashes as described above. But I've now made two fairly long flights in DX 8.0 mode (no T&L) and haven't crashed.I'm hesitant to say for sure that this fixes it, since it's so random to begin with - it could just be coincidence.But even if it does, it isn't a very desirable solution, because forgoing T&L knocks a good 10 FPS off my framerates :-(

Did you check your DLL files - Which do not work with Fly II patched to 240 ?Flyscript and ACdefault.ZIPCord

Hi Cord - I just double checked, and I don't have either of those installed. The only DLLs I have are the ROTW panel DLLs for the P51, and one DLL from jpegsnap (which seems to work fine).BTW - wasn't C4TO written in flyscripts? I used to have that installed in 210, but haven't tried to put it back in 240 yet. It'll be too bad if it won't work any more.Thanks for the idea though, even if it didn't pan out. I'm desperate to find a cause!

I think that file is is called "gtfo.txt" in the main Fly! II folder.It can sometimes point the finger - missing models or a misbehaving DLL.

Ok, I'm getting more and more confident that this is related to T&L mode.I just switched back to T&L mode, and within 2 or 3 minutes of takeoff, I crashed out to the desktop. Then I switched to non-T&L mode, and completed a 35 minute flight with no problems.The only trouble is that non-T&L knocks the stuffing out of my framerates!Anybody have any ideas given this new data? I've toggled between VertexIndexFormat =0 and =1 with no apparent effect on the crashes.

Flyscript and AC_default_autobrake/autothrottle dont work with 240?Hmm... that might explain problems I've had. So if youre patched, youre out C4TO?

Ok, per the suggestion in this thread I have checked gtfo.txt. Here are the last 4 entries. I'm not sure that every crash is associated with an entry here (I think I've had a few that didn't have anything show up here).I'm also more and more certain that I can make these go away just by running without T&L mode enabled.Heeeeellllpppp? :-)(The files mentioned below _are_ in the pod files I'm using. If they weren't, I think I'd get the same messages in non-T&L mode, but I don't).----------------------------------------------------------------Msg: Can't load texture DATAd168166fulltex4.raw: File not foundFile: texture.cpp line 1376Time: Wed Jan 29 19:42:21 2003errno = 2 (No such file or directory)----------------------------------------------------------------Msg: Runtime execption code c0000005 (EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION) at address 77F82460File: WINRUN.CPP line 165Time: Wed Jan 29 23:49:28 2003errno = 2 (No such file or directory)----------------------------------------------------------------Msg: Runtime execption code c0000096 (EXCEPTION_PRIV_INSTRUCTION) at address 02AFC303File: WINRUN.CPP line 165Time: Sun Feb 02 02:05:59 2003errno = 2 (No such file or directory)----------------------------------------------------------------Msg: Can't load texture DATAd168167fulltex2.raw: File not foundFile: texture.cpp line 1376Time: Mon Feb 03 21:40:40 2003errno = 2 (No such file or directory)

Well, I went in and changed more or less everything about my system (well, it's still x86 architecture :) ). I added one cubic truckload of RAM, increased my AGP aperature size, fiddled around with my render.ini file, changed my DRAM timings, upped the CPU voltage a little, reseated all my RAM, and a good half a dozen other things.Although it's too early to know for certain, it seems so far that something in all of that messing about has fixed my problem. I flew a 25 minute flight today with T&L mode enabled, with no problems. Hopefully the problem is gone.I just wish I knew which of the 37 thousand things I changed was actually responsible. I just didn't have the patence to do them individually!