Sign in to follow this  
Guest DSandberg

Question about weather and altitudes

Guest chezz

To what degree does weather is simulated and have an effect on flight in FLY2 (aside from the obvious like visibility). Does weather have an effect on aircraft performance in general e.g changes in air temperature, humidity,precipitation etc(if these are present at all). Is there such a thing as convection currents in the sim? Does distance for take off varies with the altitude of the field (e.g. taking off from sea level compare to taking from a higher elevation). Is there a difference when taking off on a cold winter day and a hot summer day is this simulated? Just curious(forgive my lack of kowledge). chris philippines

Guest DSandberg

> Does weather have an effect on aircraft performance in general> e.g changes in air temperature, humidity,precipitation etc(if> these are present at all).I assume you are mainly talking about weather effects on things like flight modeling and/or engine performance?I don't know if precipitation affects anything in the flight model (I've never noticed any particular effect. But air temperature and humidity had significant effects on both airfoil and engine performance even in Fly 1.0. I can only assume the same is true of Fly II.> Does distance for take off varies with the altitude of the> field (e.g. taking off from sea level compare to taking from> a higher elevation). Is there a difference when taking off on> a cold winter day and a hot summer day is this simulated?Density altitude (which accounts for both of the effects you describe, and is partially related to the previous question as well) was definitely a factor back in Fly 1.0, and although I haven't extensively flight-tested Fly II, I'm under the impression this is still the case with the new version.> Is there such a thing as convection currents in the sim?Outside of general turbulence, I don't believe convection is simulated.[table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][td width=170 align=center]Godspeed to the brave crew members of the space shuttle Columbia.[/td][/tr][/table]

Guest chezz

Hi David,Thank you for the kind reply. If convection current is not present in the sim is it possible to simulate it? I understand flying above the clouds you can avoid the bumpy ride cause by this current, but it has a significant effect during landings and take offs (aside from the cros wind). Also another question, does obstruction has an effect on wind on the downloaded metar especially flying on a moutainous area? (I hope I'm asking the right questions)best regardschrisphilippines

Guest DSandberg

Is the game's own turbulence insufficient for simulating those particular convective effects? (I thought you were looking for convection currents such as those used by glider pilots.)I'm under the impression that ground obstructions don't affect the weather at all in this sim (or in any current sim, to my knowledge).[table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0][tr][td width=320]http://www.usinternet.com/users/mystic/infomsig.gif[/td][td width=170 align=center]Godspeed to the brave crew members of the space shuttle Columbia.[/td][/tr][/table]