Sign in to follow this  
Guest tonyc

Questions About frame rates !

Guest pilotsim7828

Is there any files I need to adjust in the Fly . INI file to get better frame ratesHere is my system specs:Amd Athlon 1.3 GHZ256 MB DDR RAMATI Raedeon 8500dvWin98 ( will install XP if needed ) If anymore info neede , Just let me know Thanks Jeff AkinsIncluded is My Fly! II ini file

Guest tonyc

Jeff, you need to be more specific about the frame rates that you're currently getting. Usually, it's the render.ini that affects the frame rates, specifically the number of allocated texture slots. Your biggest bang will come from reducing your distance settings in the scenery options to the lowest. I would have no more than 2x antialiasing. And have your thought about overclocking? also check if your motherboard can accepet a higher clock cpu. If you chec price watch, you can pick up a larger cpu for less than $50.http://www.cpudatabase.com/CPUdb/tony

FWIW, I have a slightly faster CPU (1.6Ghz athlon), but an old Geforce 3 gfx card and Win2K. In most places without heavy amounts of buildings, I get 20 to 35 FPS when just "flying around". Some spots with particularly heavy static objects I fall to 13-15 FPS.Hopefully that's a useful comparision point for you. If you're getting low single digits (like "4.00 FPS"), then likely it's a problem with texture slots allocated in render.ini. Fly is quite finicky about how those are set (and is not particularly efficient in how it uses graphics memory).John/madmax

Guest pilotsim7828

Thanks For your replies; In the past I have used....maxTextures32_565=32, Which worked fine with WinXP, And ATI Readeon Vid card.Just reformated and installed Win98...But, Can Install WinXP if neededI have NEVER overclocked a comp. And probbably NEVER will, As i heard it can be DANGEROUS. to the motherboard and with NO experiance in that field ,I will leave that alone ! If I go to SANFRAN as the defualt is loaded, the frames rates seem to stutter in Win98, But not in WinXP. Any more Suggestions is greatly appreciated. Jeff Akins

Guest tonyc

overclocking is not dangerous. Here's how it works: you determine whether your motherboard's bios has the settings to increase fsb speed or increase cpu multiplier. If not there are software programs that do it in place or the bios. You then increase the settings incrementally and see what happens to the computer. If the cpu does not like the new settings, it will lock up. This conditions happens either as a result of higher temperatures or the cpu simply cannot handle it. Either way, you will know. this will not damage your computer. You simply bring the setting back to their original numbers.For example, I have an ecs motherboard and an xp2000. I inccreased the fsb settings from 133 to 138. The cpu acts as a xp2100+. You can read about it. From what I know about an Athlon, you may already be at the top end of what that cpu can do. I would than look fora motherboard combo, let's say with an xp2000+ , for lessthan 100 dollars. FLY2 will really fly.tony